Chapter 1: Kill Both Sides

Intro: Akame ga Kill quickly became one of my favorite series when I started it. This story is my attempt at writing a story that airs more on the darker side of the spectrum while exploring some interesting possibilities with the riveting personalities Akame ga Kill offers.

Edit: This story is now featured on AO3 as well! Also, changed around some formatting and style for superior quality!

Disclaimer: Akame ga Kill's official characters and the world belongs to Takahiro, Tetsuya Tashiro, Square Enix, and Gangan Joker.

The storm of dissension is beginning to form, thought a woman. Her long, silky hair flowed in the wind while she stood on a balcony. The darkening sky was reflected in her frigid eyes. Will I be able to live long enough to see it, I wonder? Can this power within me be quelled; will I succumb? If I die from this—I wasn't strong. No, I shall triumph and...maybe our paths will cross once more. Until then, the vanity of humanity will continue...

VVV

Everybody might die at this rate, thought Chelsea, observing the incredible spectacle before her.

The pale moonlight illuminated the mountain base, and a cold air blew gently across the landscape. Some might find it enjoyable to stop and soak in the nice atmosphere nature was offering. However, what Chelsea was observing behind a huge boulder didn't really fit into the "nice" category. It was a sight much more befitting for someone in her profession—a duel between the assassins of Night Raid and the Jaegers.

"Kurome!" yelled Akame, clashing swords with her sister.

"You're strong as always, Sis," taunted Kurome. "Not bad—for a traitor." Akame jumped back to create space. Kurome eerily smiled, the night creating a shadow over her face.

"I wanted to take you with me, but you stayed."

"You think I'd run away and disgrace all those that have died, so I could go be some freedom fighter like you? Not that any of it matters anyway, because we'll be together again soon."

"I'm never going back to the Empire."

"You will once I run you through with Yatsufusa." Kurome brandished her Teigu while taking a battle stance. "We'll be together forever, Sis."

Akame looked horrified, realizing just how far gone her sister was now. Kurome thought making her into a corpse puppet was the best way to be together. Her grip on Murasame tightened, and her resolve readied the assassin to do what needed to be done.

"If killing you really is the only way I can save you—so be it!"

"Those are big words, Sis!" The two sisters traded blows at rapid speed. Their swords kept clashing, and they optimized their advanced footwork to get an edge.

"Night Raid scum!" yelled Wave, fully equipped in his mighty Grand Chariot while delivering a midair kick towards Tatsumi—who blocked, accordingly.

"What do you know!" Tatsumi, who was wearing the ever-reliable Incursio, threw a right that Wave guarded.

"Incursio is only the prototype to my Grand Chariot! You don't have a chance!" Wave struck quickly with his fist, making Tatsumi drop to his knees. "All of you in Night Raid are nothing but a bunch of cold-blooded assassins!"

Tatsumi clenched his jaw so hard, he almost chipped a tooth. Pictures of deceased Night Raid comrades crossed his mind, making him even more frustrated at Wave's ignorant words.