20 | Sealed With a Kiss

Start from the beginning

“How was it in there? Did you like it?” He sounded hopeful, but his eyes told a different story—they were filled with doubt.

From the backseat, Noah snorted. Mary had told him all about her experience with the demons at the ward, and he had immediately blamed himself for not being there to protect her, which Mary thought was preposterous. She insisted none of it had been his fault, and Noah eventually agreed with her, but Mary could tell he was doing so just so that they could stop arguing about it; he didn’t actually believe it.

“It was… err, interesting,” Mary managed out. “But I’d rather not go there again. Like, ever.”

Her father chuckled. “I know. I would rather you didn’t either. Your mother was the one who convinced me to agree to putting you in there, even though she wasn’t a fan of the idea herself. I guess we were just desperate, trying to find some way to help you. I’m sorry.”

Mary’s mouth popped open, her eyes widening in disbelief. She shook her head wildly. “Dad, no; don’t apologize. I understand, really. You and mom just want what’s best for me; you want me to be okay. And I’m sorry about hurting you last night—“

“Mary, I’m telling you there’s nothing to be sorry about,” he said in frustration. Mary had apologized at least a dozen times since last night. “I’ve had mosquito bites worse than this little injury. I know you didn’t mean it. You’re still my favorite daughter, all right?”

Mary smiled grudgingly. “That’s because I’m your only daughter.”

He grinned back, pinching her nose. “Love you, Pumpkin.”

“Dad,” Mary whined, blushing as she heard Noah’s snickers from the backseat.

“What?” he asked innocently. “You said I could call you that only if I’m not in front of any of your friends.”

Mary didn’t even bother trying to counter that one. Instead she rolled her eyes. “Love you too, dad.”

“Oh, and don’t forget—as soon as we get home, it’s time for your pills,” he said. “You’re already a half hour late in your schedule.”

And just like that, Mary’s smile faltered into a grimace. Talk about a total mood killer.

“Okay,” she sighed. She turned her head to stare wistfully out the window into the past, where the only pills she would ever take were painkillers for the occasional twisted ankle she’d get from running or the headache that would hit her when she read too much.

                                                           †††

Words could not describe how happy and relieved Mary was to be back at home, surrounded by the familiar walls of her bedroom, sitting in the comfort of her bed. She plopped backwards onto the cool fabric of her duvet and sighed in contentment, shutting her eyes.

“God, I missed this place,” she murmured. Her body was already beginning to feel heavy after ingesting her pills under the supervision of her parents. “I’ll never take any of this for granted again.”

Somewhere near her, Noah chuckled, a slight echo weaved into the sound. “Your bed looks like a tornado picked it off the ground and spun it a few times before dropping it.”

Mary frowned, half-opening her eyes to peer at Noah from where she was lying. “You’re not that far off. When the demon posing as Avery attacked me, it made this entire bed levitate. I was on it, trying not to fall off.” She shuddered at the memory, closing her eyes again.

Noah was silent for a moment. “I wonder if she’s back yet. Avery. She’s been gone longer than I have.” He sounded worried, and Mary didn’t blame him—she felt the same way. She couldn’t begin to imagine how distressed Mason must be feeling, knowing that Noah was back but his sister was still nowhere to be found. “I want to pass by the street where the car accident happened, since that was where she got attacked. When she does come back from Purgatory, she’ll show up there—if she hasn’t already.”