Chapter 3

• Αφιερωμένο στον/ην evacado

The sky was growing dark as we sat in the swingset. Alistair and I had dug up a treasure chest-like box out of the ground underneath the slide at the playground in the park. Inside the box there were pictures, several letters, and locket in the shape of a heart. The pictures were of a glass castle like the one in my dream. The letters were written in cursive and were all addressed to "My Prince". The golden locket was rusting, and had a broken hinge. Alistair went through each item in the box, showing them to me and giving a little anecdote about them.

I thought it was sweet the way that he had a little momento for each thing like he was trying to hold on to something good from his past. He told me how when he was little, he and his mom had to leave thier home in Bulgaria because someone had been after them. I felt so sorry for him eventhough my life had been no better. I had been found in the street with no knowledge of where I came from. I only knew my name and nothing else so they put me into the foster system. After Alistair told me his story I shared this with him.

"You must be sad that you cant remember anything," he said. "I guess, but Ive gotten used to it over the years." "Okay," said Alistair, "we need to get rid of this depressing vibe. How about I make good on that offer to take you to meet my mom?" "Are you sure its kinda late," I protested. "It'll be fine, she will be happy to have some company believe me." he said giving me a big smile. How could I say no to that?

As Alistair drove I looked out the window. I wondered how his mother would react to him "bringing home a stray" so to speak. I wondered if he had ever brought home any other friends. But I remembered that at school he never really hung out with anyone. Why didn't he have a lot of friends he seemed like a nice guy. All of the sudden the car came to a halt in front of a two-story house. Alistair climbed out of the car and came around to open my door. We walked up the walkway towards the house and Alistair opened the door, inviting me in. "Mom," he shouted, "we're home."