Chapter 2

There is one thing that I remember vividly from my childhood. It's a memory; I'm playing in a meadow behind a huge glass castle. There is a boy there and he is playing with me. We chase each other until sunset. The boys mother comes out and calls to us to come back inside. As we go back inside the castle, the boy turns one way and I turn the other way. "Dokato surtseto ti spira da bie," he says to me.

"That's where I've heard that before," I say astonished. But how did that guy know that phrase? I must remember to ask him about it later. The ringing of the bell pulls me out of my thoughts and into the next day of school. I walk into English and decide to find HIM to sit next to. As I scan the room our eyes meet and he smiles at me. "Katerrina" he says. I wave and go to sit in the empty desk next to him. "Hey..." I start not sure what to call him since I don't know his name. "Alistair" he corrects. "Alistair," I repeat, "that name suits you I say." His black hair falls in his eyes and he flicks his head to the side to flip his hair. I notice that his blue eyes and black hair- although an uncommon physical trait combination- compliments his fair, almost white, skin tone. "Thank you very much" he says with mock arrogance. "SOMEONE is modest," I laugh. "So Katerrina, how are you liking it here so far?" " I guess it's better than some other places I've been to," I told him. "Why do you say that?" "Because, believe it or not, I've been to some pretty messed up places," I told him. "I see." "Can I ask you a question?" I asked him. "You just did," he retorted. "Other than me asking you if I could ask you something." I rolled my eyes at him, for someone who is supposed to be a nice person, he's really sarcastic. "Go ahead," he smiled. "How did you know that phrase from before?" His smile turned into a slim line."What phrase?" "You know, 'Dokato surtseto ti spira da bie'." "Katerrina, we are both Bulgarian. It's a saying; a figure of speech. Don't you remember Bulgarian sayings?" "Of course I do," I started, "it's just I haven't really met many Bulgarian people around here so it kinda prevents me from holding conversations with them." "I understand. It's hard to find people like us to relate to. Maybe one day you can come over and meet my mom. One more Bulgarian to add to your list." "That would be nice," I smiled.

All of the sudden we heard a door slam. The teacher walked in and the room went dead silent. "Mr. Gonzales, an English teacher with a Hispanic last name? Weird." I thought. Alistair gave me a warm smile as if saying not to worry. "It appears that we have a new student with us today," started Mr. Gonzales, "Katerrina Dobreva, did I say that right?" I nodded. "Dont be shy, stand up and tell us about yourself." I stood up brushed my hands on my pants and started "I'm Katerrina, but some people call me Kat. I don't really care if you call me Kat or Katerrina but I don't like being called Kate." "Nice accent!" someone yelled. "Thanks," I said as I sat down. I could tell that this was gonna be a long day.

After school, Alistair found me at my locker. It looked like he was debating something with himself in his head. "Whats up?" I looked at him. "Nothing," he smiled "your second day at Willowdell is over, what did you think?" "It feels like any other normal school day," I said. "Okay, so that was a dumb question," he said, "hey so I have an idea, meet me at the park on 7th avenue at 6 p.m. Oh, and bring a shovel." I looked up slightly confused, but agreed to meet him at the park. As he walked away, he said "Don't forget the shovel it's of the utmost importance. Dokato surtseto ti spira da bie." What was it with him and that phrase? Until your heart stops beating. I'll have to find out if he knows anything about the boy in my memory; but first I have to find a shovel.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I promise no lengthy a/n but, you can comment or message me to tell me what you think. P.s. thanks for the read :)