Life of Amalia » Epilogue

Epilogue : The End

Queen Amalia Channels Her Inner Disney Princess at a Baby2Baby Mother's Day Party Hosted by Shutterfly

Two days after turning heads on the red carpet of the Met Gala in a gold Versace gown, complete with a flower headpiece that made her look like an actual angel, and three days before Mother's Day, Queen Amalia landed at The Wing Dumbo to host a ch...

Two days after turning heads on the red carpet of the Met Gala in a gold Versace gown, complete with a flower headpiece that made her look like an actual angel, and three days before Mother's Day, Queen Amalia landed at The Wing Dumbo to host a charity event for Baby2Baby, the philanthropy started by Kelly Sawyer Patricof and Norah Weinstein that provides low-income children with basic needs like diapers and clothing.

"I was seeing from afar what Baby2Baby was doing, and I heard a This American Life story about a woman who after Hurricane Katrina was displaced," explains Amalia of how she became involved with the organization. "Before, the woman was upper-middle class; she had a Mercedes; she thought that her life was solid. She didn't have savings, but she was doing all right in her situation, and then Katrina happened and she was displaced and moved to Texas, and she didn't have any support, and she had a young baby and a toddler, and was suddenly begging. She had to keep the same diaper on her baby. Hearing this woman's story stuck with me." That was six or seven years ago, and in searching for a charity that would have a real impact on families in need, Amalia came across Baby2Baby and signed on to be an ambassador. She has since lent her name and time to events that it hosts.

This particular Mother's Day celebration brought moms and kids that Baby2Baby serves in New York to the women's club for an afternoon with Mickey Mouse, the Disney Princess Tiana, and live music by Little Maestros

This particular Mother's Day celebration brought moms and kids that Baby2Baby serves in New York to the women's club for an afternoon with Mickey Mouse, the Disney Princess Tiana, and live music by Little Maestros. There were flowerpot-making stations, a card craft area, lots of snacks, and much, much more. The fun wasn't just for kids, though. While the children were dancing away, the moms got to partake in a moment of me-time, with blowouts provided by Glamsquad and manicures by Tenoverten.

"All the kids here are living below the poverty line, so to be able to have an event where not only they get to celebrate but the moms also get to have a minute of peace [is really wonderful]," Amalia notes. "They're not given the opportunity that they should be given."