Life of Amalia » Prologue

Prologue

"HE HAS A DAUGHTER?" Charles could hear the roar of the Queen's voice from her study down the hallway. "HOW CAN THAT BE?"

But there had been no mention of a child born of the union until now the press had dug up the story.

The Prince had to admit that there had been a child born, a little girl who was now thirty-one years old, but he and his ex-wife had promised each other that she would not know anything about her royal heritage until she was much older.

Unfortunately, their agreement hadn't gone to plan.

The prince had been summoned to the Queen's study half an hour ago, and while the Queen had shouted at her son, it was nothing compared to the roaring she was aiming at her husband, who she had summoned just ten minutes earlier, and he had left her study, looking drawn and worried.

"DID YOU KNOW?" She roared again, and there was the sound of silence.

"How could this have happened?" she murmured to herself. "I... I'm sure..."

"The press does their digging," Charles said matter of factly. "They're always looking for scandal in regards to the royal family."

"But... you... how could you have lied to us, your parents? How could you lie to your mother?" the older woman looked distressed.

"It was the only request Diana asked for before her death, and I had to honor her request; after all, I owed her that," Charles said.