Chapter 12: The Fall

I barely had time to process what was happening before my limp body crashed onto something, and then my left elbow, hand, and foot smacked onto the hard cement floor. I heard a crack and felt a shot of pain race all the way through my arm from my elbow to my hand.

Everything went black for a second, and then I felt like my brain was trying to wade its way back to reality through a swamp and really dense fog.

I heard a voice from somewhere incredibly close to me, on my right. "Beth, are you okay? Can you hear me?" Was that my older brother?

I finally managed to will my eyes open, and found that I was staring at the ceiling and the place where it met the wall at a weird angle, like the room was tilted. My entire right side was pressed up against something warm and... oddly shaped.

Suddenly, there were many pairs of hands on me, lifting me slightly so that I could be set on something flat and hard. My neck was straightened out by some sort of head restraint, so I could see the three pink-haired women crouching above me. I thought I heard someone talking, but the head restraint covered my ears and muffled the sound. They hastily strapped me onto what I guessed was like a body board, because they easily lifted the thing up and walked with me through a doorway.

I wasn't so disoriented from my fall anymore, so I took a moment to assess my injuries.

The sharpest pain was in my elbow, starting at the tip and radiating down the bone in my forearm. Where that pain stopped, another pain started in the outside edge of the heel of my left hand. My foot was relatively unharmed, maybe only slightly bruised, since the rubbery sole had bounced off the floor and absorbed most of the impact. I felt some bruises forming on my right side where I had collided with whatever I had landed on, especially on a few of my ribs, but I didn't think they were broken, so that was good.

The pink-haired ladies lifted my board up onto a table in a small, bright, completely white-washed room. Once I was unstrapped from the board, one of the nurses gently slid it out from under me, and disappeared with it. The other two nurses quickly inspected my body for injuries, and found all of the places that I had already identified as "in pain." They gently prodded my body, asking me how painful each area was from 1 to 10. My foot was a 2, my ribs a 4, my hand a 5, and my elbow a 6.

One of them wielded a thin rectangular box that shone a thin stripe of bluish light perpindicular to my injured arm. She swept the box from my elbow to my hand in a scanning motion. She attached the box to the bottom of a screen, and instantly an image of my arm appeared on the screen. Actually, it was the inside of my arm, the bones and ligaments glowing white against a black background. The nurse began pressing and dragging her fingers on the screen, manipulating the image.

I was so focused on the screen that I jumped when I felt something cold and semi-liquid against my bruised ribs. I glanced over to see a pink haired nurse with a jar of salve or cream or something looking back at me, her hand hesitated a centimeter from my ribcage. Something in her face told me to sit still or else, and so I did. She delicately dabbed the medicine on my bruises, and the ache dulled a bit. She waited a few moments, and then started gently rubbing the cream in. The pain instantly subsided, not into a numbed feeling, but like it had never existed in the first place. The nurse did the same thing for my foot as well, and then disappeared though a door, probably to put the medicine away.

By now, the other nurse was back to my elbow, with a little rod-type thing.

"Don't worry, I'm not injecting you with anything, but this might sting a little." She held the little rod up to my elbow and pushed a button. The tip of the rod glowed, and it made a whirring sound. A sudden tingling pain creeped through my bone, like in a leg after it's been sat on weird for too long.