Chapter 10: The Battle

(A/N) Hey guys! It's been a while. And that is an understatement. This is kind of a short chapter, but this chapter involves three new characters, and it has a battle scene in it, and those are kinda difficult for me to write because they involve me figuring out what Pokémon would be best to use by looking up and comparing tons of stats and moves and things like that, so it took me a little while to write. Plus I wanted to start publishing ASAP because I haven't posted since what, spring break? Dustah has pointed this out to me, and I'm Very Sorry :( with capital letters :( But it's summer now, and I only have two classes four days a week rather than six classes five days a week, and no shows, rehearsals, or other extra-currics besides dance! So I have a ton of free time! Enjoy, and hopefully I can update a lot more regularly now!

I slept soundly that night, and woke refreshed and ready to train. Breakfast was a peaceful sort of quiet, we all seemed to be falling in rhythm with one another. It was nice, but it made me realize how much time had passed already since the reaping, and how little there was left before the Games. I pushed that thought from my mind, and tried to focus on the day of training that was ahead of me.

When I got down to the training center, I wandered about aimlessly from station to station for a while. I knew I should get to work, but I couldn't focus. I was supposed to be looking for another ally, but I was really not all that impressed by my options. Aaron and some of the other girl tributes were huddled around a battle station, talking over one another. Chet and his two allies were at the berry station, shoving berries in one another's faces. That left a blond kid, who was maybe 12-13ish, struggling with the Pokemon Control station; Alice, who was the ghostly 15-year-old female tribute from Hoenn, off on her own in the camouflage station; Dylan, 17 years old and from Hoenn working at a battle simulation, and Anton, 18 years old from Sinnoh, who was just making his way to the battle simulation station. I decided to wander over to the camouflage station, hopeful that Alice would be welcoming of me.

"Hello," I greeted as I sank to my knees. She didn't look up from the pattern she was tracing on her arm. "That looks really nice," I commented, pointing to the leaves forming across her skin. Her body froze, but her eyes shot up, flashing as they met mine.

"It doesn't matter if it looks nice. It just has to work. What does it matter if it looks nice?" Her voice was quiet, but forceful. As she spoke, her face remained fairly expressionless, like a mask. The only feature that displayed her agitation were her eyes, which were still burning with annoyance as she stared at me.

I didn't know what to say, so I just forced out a small "oh," and tried to look busy collecting mud and berries and leaves to spread on the skin of my forearm. There was an odd sensation nagging at me, like I could feel her light blue glare searing into my skin. I decided that I should try to make conversation with Alice, so that maybe she wouldn't try to burn me alive in the arena, even though her stare was burning me up right now.

"Could you show me how..." My voice trailed off as I looked up and realized that she was gone.The burning feeling slowly ebbed away and my elevated heart rate, which I hadn't noticed before, started slowing to normal. I looked around, bewildered, but I didn't see any sign of her. "Well this is kinda creepy..." I mused as I slowly stood up. I had already spent time at the camouflage station yesterday, and I didn't see the point of spending too much time there.

I started looking around for something to work on, until I heard a commotion by the battle simulations. I looked over, and realized that Anton was getting ready to battle Dylan. Curiosity overtook me, and I walked over to watch. Aaron and Karley were already in prime spectator positions, so I didn't feel awkward as I began to watch the two boys.

"Hey, what's going on?" I whispered to the girls as I walked up next to them.

"I think they're going to do a simulated battle against one another," Karley replied to me, only peeling her eyes away from the two boys for a fraction of a second before they snapped back to the action, even though there wasn't much yet.