Chapter 7: Training, Day 1

That night, I couldn't fall asleep. The relative excitement of the parade had dissippated, leaving me with a pit of dread in my stomach. Training started the next day, and I had no clue what to expect. My head was swirling with thoughts of Pokemon and battles and enemies and allies and survival and death. I must've eventually fallen asleep somehow, because I remember waking, feeling like I hadn't even gotten a chance to rest. It was still dark; the clock on the box by the TV read 1:32. I tried to go back to sleep, but I couldn't succeed. The closest I got was that wierd, half-dreaming state in which I was still concious to the fact that I was indeed lying in a bed, but I could sense my nightmares playing out in my mind like a movie behind my eyelids. Every time I felt close to falling completely unconcious, in my dreams I would trip, get hit by an attack, or die, and I would jerk awake again.

At around four in the morning I officially gave up. I turned on the TV and began watching a program hosted by this guy who analyzes and makes predictions for the Games. Some people view him as a crackpot over-analyst, but he somehow always knows what's going on in the Game-verse that very second, when even the Tributes don't even know what's going on yet. He was, of course, talking about the tribute parade.

"Now, the tributes from Johto, they display a lot of power. Both 18, both from very small, realtively poor towns, they're tall, built, and ready for action. Lots and lots of confidence displayed there."

Images of the Johto tributes in the parade flashed across the screen. They definetly fit the hosts's description of them. Both in shining silver formal wear, with confident poses and smug faces, they looked composed and commanding.

The guy, Anton, was really tall and thin, but definitely athletic. His hair was so light-colored that looked white, and he had striking grey eyes.

The girl, Aaron, was the same towering height as Anton with her stilettos and teased updo. Her green-brown eyes looked dark and mysterious from the smoky eyeshadow she was wearing. Together, they did make a very intimidating couple.

"Now, the tributes from Hoenn share a lot of similarities to the Johto power couple, but have some key differences that may set them back. And man, let's talk about polar opposites!

"Alice Johnson: now there's a mysterious girl. Age 15, short and slender. Not as muscular as Aaron, but I think that just her sheer aura is enough to hoist her up into one of the top slots. She catches and holds your attention, in an almost Sabrina-esque way. You look at her and you get sucked in, you just can't look away."

He was right. Alice had ghostly pale skin that was sharply contrasted by the black dress she was wearing. The most noticable thing about her was her captivating light blue eyes surrounded by a thick dark ring of black eyeliner. It would be an understatement to say her gaze was intense. She was staring straight ahead, unblinking, and her mouth was in a thin unmoving line. She barely acknowledged the crowds around her, and yet they were all drawn to her.

"And let's talk about Dylan Meyers! 17 years old, a bit younger than Anton, a tad shorter as well, but this guy has some muscle tone! And look at that handsome grin!"

Dylan did indeed seem more powerfully built than Anton. Where Anton was tall and lean, Dylan was sturdier, and had more defined muscles under his black shimmery vest. He had his hands on his hips and was flexing his arms to make his muscles stand out more. However, his easy grin, green eyes, and wavy brown hair made him look like one of the least aggressive tributes so far.

"Let's move on to Sinnoh! Karly Jaye is the female tribute here. 15 years old, hailing from Veilstone city, she looks like she..."

My eyes began to droop shut as the redheaded tribute filled the screen. I told myself that I would close them for just a minute. I wanted to keep watching to see what I was up against. I'm not sure when, but I must've dozed off pretty quickly, because soon I was having nightmares about red hair, muscular arms, a silver suit and dress, and piercing black-rimmed blue eyes.