Prologue

The wind whipped through his hair and screamed in his ears as he looked down at the battle below him. Everywhere he looked Pokemon were fighting and falling. A Blastoise shot twin streams of water so strong that they shoved a Snorlax to the ground and pushed him backwards. A Nidoking and Graveler were locked in hand-to-hand combat, until a Hariyama crushed the Nidoking's ribcage with a single tackle. Fire engulfed a Leafeon, and it began writhing as it burned. He gripped the neck of his Charizard tighter as they dove through the sky, dodging Thunder that crashed through the sky and hit a Skarmory sending bolts of blue electricity streaming through the Pokemon all the way to the ground.

He looked up, and saw a Tropius ridden by a black-clothed police officer soaring straight for him. He commanded his Charizard to use Flamethrower. A solid pillar of fire shot from her mouth and hit the Tropius in the neck. Its trainer was hit with the attack as well, and he screamed as his flesh burned, but didn't let go. The fire spread to the Tropius' wings, and the Pokemon and its trainer fell to the ground in a blaze of fire. He watched them fall, almost allowing himself to feel regret, but he shook his head and pushed the feeling away. This is war. He can't let himself feel pity for the enemy.

He began steering his Charizard to the left toward a Dragonite who was fighting a Honchkrow, when she suddenly lurched forward and fell a few feet. He turned around and saw an Archeops behind him, again ridden by a black-clothed police officer. He was about to command his Charizard to attack, any attack, but before he could say anything, the Archeops dove at him and slashed at her with its huge claws. He heard his Charizard cry as she desperately tried to fly away, but the Archeops kept clawing at her no matter where she went. He felt a huge claw cut through the flesh on his arm, and he cried in pain. He saw the Archeops take one last swipe at his Charizard's wing, and then they were falling. He tried to hold on to her, but his injured arm was useless, and the other one wasn't strong enough. She slipped out of his grasp, and he heard her cry one last time as she fell through the air and hit the ground. He wasn't far behind.