Chapter 3: The Reaping

AUTHOR'S NOTE

Hey guys! I am so so so sooooo sorry that i took so long with this chapter... but I have been busy with other things lately, and Wattpad decided to be stubborn and delete this on me TWICE. So this is the THIRD DRAFT of this chapter, and I tried to remember how I had everything phrased from the first time, but i couldn't remember all of our, so parts are better and other parts are probably way worse. I'm sorry =( But i am not using Wattpad to write my first drafts on anymore, I'm gonna switch to Google Drive and then attempt to copy/paste because it saves literally every time you push a button, so that's good =) but the whole copy thing is difficult on a touchscreen, so let me know if there's a few words or a couple paragraphs missing here or there =P umm I think that's all... Enjoy! x

«»«»«»«»«»«»«»«»«»«»«»«»«»«»«»«»«»«»«»«»«»«»«»«»«»«»«»«»«»«»«»«»«»«»«»«»

A few minutes after Hayley and I had discussed our sentences, the police officer came back to our cell, and we told him what we had decided: time for her, tickets for me. He wrote something down on his clipboard, and then brought me out of the cell, but not before I could give her one last tearful hug. Then, the officer shut the cell door, locking Hayley inside.

Of course, when the officer led me to the lobby of the station, my mom and my Aunt Renee and Uncle Tim were there. My mom ran up to hug me, overjoyed to see me. Unfortunately, that joy didn't last for long, seeing as how the officer began explaining about how minors had an option of taking their sentence as tickets.

My mom gasped, putting two and two together, and grabbed my shoulders. "Beth? How many?"

I took a deep breath before I responded.

"Mom, you have to remember that there are probably around a thousand tickets in the Kanto reaping,"

"A thousand? Honey, there aren't even a hundred kids eligible for the reaping, and most don't need to get tesserae like you do."

"Ok then, if the average kid has 5 tickets, there's still at least 500 in the pool," I argued.

"Less. And that's divided in half anyway," my mom pointed out. "Beth, how many?" She repeated.

I sighed. "48," I said quietly.

"And they're added to what you already have? And get added to?"

I nodded, unable to look her in the eyes anymore.

"That's 68 tickets with the name 'Bethany Jennings' on them." She sounded... almost disbelieving. "Beth, I don't know a thing about statistics, except that those are not good odds. Can't you just do the time, and then actually come back?" She pleaded.

"The tickets have already been added to the pool." The officer interjected, probably thinking that he was being sooo helpful by eavesdropping.

My mom let it a sob, and then wrapped me into another hug, although this one was more of a desperate, I-won't-let-you-go type of hug.

"Mom, it's OK," I insisted, rubbing her back, "There's still so many other tickets in the pool, I'm sure I won't get picked."

We stood there for a few minutes until my mom had calmed down a little bit, and then I reminded her about her other children, and the reaping at noon, and how we should probably get going so we could get them all ready in time.

The officer gave me back my things, also known as my backpack, and informed us that it had been searched, but nothing had been seized. I did a mental fist pump, happy to be able to keep all my stuff. I slung the backpack over my shoulder, and my mom and I left the station.