Chapter Two

Tobias

I didn’t make my presence known to her until she had almost lost consciousness. I knew that if I waited any longer, then she would get attacked, but I also couldn’t risk her bleeding out before I could actually help her. I used my gift of healing to stop the girl’s bleeding so she would not be at the risk of dying from blood loss. I unsheathed my sword, waiting for the monster to attack. He had been tracking her for the past month, so I’ve kept her from harm and stopped him from causing harm.

I guess that’s what they do though. Humans are oblivious to danger and monsters love to cause harm. They live off the misery of others. But that’s why my people step in. We keep the monsters from causing harm if we can. Sometimes the monsters are humans themselves. That’s when we can’t step in. Well, unless it’s something that could potentially threaten the safety of the world.

I snap out of my thoughts to focus on my surroundings. I can still smell his scent in the air. If he thinks that I’m going to lower my guard, he has another thing coming. I’m not easily fooled, I’ve literally learned every trick there is in the book. It takes a lot more than silence to get me to relax.

I can still smell his scent in the surrounding area and it’s only getting stronger. He’s slowly coming forward. Hopefully he tries to attack. My people have the law of only attack when attacked. Of course, like every rule, there are exceptions; but this one has very few. My people believe in justice and self-defense. We never attack unless given a reason to.

The monster finally stepped out of the shadows. He looked like a man, but he was far from it. He had died and lost his soul a long time ago. Of course, someone had taken it from him, but that’s beside the point. He can live forever, never age a day, but he has to kill and condemn others to his fate.

“You’ve been following me for a while.” He hissed.

“You’ve put yourself on my radar.” I told him. “And now you have two choices. You can leave now and die on your own terms or you can attack me and get killed in the process of trying to have an evening meal. I would choose wisely.”

“You want me to attack. I sense it.” He smiled.

“Only so I can get you off this world and out of my way.”

“Maybe you think too highly of yourself.”

“Maybe you think too little of me.” I smirked.

“What are you?” He asked curiously. “You’re not human. I’ve never smelled your kind before.”

“But no doubt you’ve heard of my people. But if I tell you what I am, you will run away like a coward.”

“How dare you call me a coward?” He hissed angrily. I knew that with a little more taunting I could get him to attack me. I smirked at him.

“I have seen stronger men then you run away like little girls at the sound of my name.”

He hissed loudly before running towards me at what he thought was a fast pace. I swung my sword towards him, stopping just before I cut off his head.

“What are you?” He asked again, fear showing in his eyes.

“I’m a Guardian Warrior.” I told him, and swung my sword.