"Will you have to change her bandages again later?" you asked before she could walk away.

"They'll have to be changed multiple times to keep the area clean." she replied.

"Then next time, could you show me what to do?"

"If you want me to."

"Please."

"I'll remember that when I come back then."

"Thanks."

When you looked at Yang again she had an unsettling, crestfallen look on her face.

"(Y/n) You don't have to..."

"Remember what she said? They'll need to be changed regularly, even after you're out of here. It's better for me to know how to do it properly without hurting you."

She looked at you unnerved.

"You looked away when the nurse was changing them."

"I know I did; I just wasn't ready."

"You can't even bear to look at it." she responded coldly.

"That's not it at all Yang," you claimed. "I promise I won't be like that. I'll be right by your side through all of this, every second of every day."

When the uncomfortable silence returned you once again found yourself struggling to find the something to say. The only thing you could think of was to ask about her unconscious sister. What prevented you from doing so was fear that you might only upset Yang further.

You didn't know Ruby or the rest of Yang's team, as a matter of fact, all that well; both of you had lives outside of your relationship and they were part of hers just like Ivan and work was a part of yours. Of the few interactions you did have with her none of them ever amounted to more than just a brief exchange of words, never a full-blown conversation and most of what you knew about her came from Yang. You knew she cared deeply for her younger sister and was also protective towards her after she told you about something that happened when the two were very little.

You could only imagine what was going through her head. Sure, Ruby looked like she was completely unharmed, but she seemed to be completely unconscious; being completely unresponsive to Zwei seemingly trying to get her attention. Whether or not Yang knew what happened to her was still up in the air.

"Dad." Yang uttered.

After entering was a man with short blond hair that looked somewhat greyed. Along his jawline was a small amount of stubble accompanied by a soul patch. Behind him, you were able to make out another man, Qrow, who stayed a noticeable distance behind him.

You watched him approach slowly and react essentially the same way you did when you saw Yang in her current condition. He all but ignored you, all of his attention focused on his two daughters, going through what you could only assume was a parent's worst nightmare. Yang had told you the basic gist about her childhood and both her and Ruby's respective mothers. You never pushed further on the matter, feeling you might come off as nosy and intrusive. There was no way you could even begin to comprehend what he was going through.

"You must be the boyfriend I've been told about."

For a moment, you didn't comprehend the fact that you were being spoken to.

"Yeah," you responded, sounding almost bewildered. "I'm (y/n)."

"Nice to meet you," he said. "I'm Taiyang."

You were reluctant to shake his hand when he extended it to you, mostly due to your corresponding hand still tenderly holding on to Yangs. Reluctantly you let go of her hand to shake it for a moment before automatically going back to holding Yang's hand.