Chapter 23- Exam Results and Elated Romance

Comenzar desde el principio

When she finally began to speak, her voice was quiet. "How'd you do?" Her question, when accompanied by her tear-stricken eyes and desperate attempt to hold back the overwhelming happiness her smile carried, gave her a look of child-like excitement. It was different, but it was genuine, and Connor liked it.
His eyes drifted from hers, his focus switching once again to the paper he held, taking his lower lip between his teeth as he looked one last time. Again, he examined them, the subjects listed on the paper, the rough and uneven nails on the hand that held it, and the school hall around them all, and suddenly, there was no doubt about it; he wasn't going to be awoken by the light touch of Dennis's paws early in the morning as his small and delicate weight pressed against his nose to wake him up, only to find himself in bed and not in school. This bubbling pride was all his.

"I did great," he finally answered, his eyes returning to her face, "I passed everything. What about you?"

She finally let her ecstatic smile show once again, the pair of teenagers both startling themselves as the ginger-haired girl threw her arms around Connor, giving the taller teen a sudden hug, further shocked when he returned her friendly embrace, providing Christine Scott with further excitement.
"I passed everything too," she spoke, her voice wavering, "I got a grade seven in biology! I can take that on to college and use it for animal care," the shorter female jumped back, releasing him from her grip and showing him her wide smile, "I can do it! I could really be a vet!"

Hearing her words, the long-haired teenager thought this the reason behind her ecstatic reaction to her exam results, and thus, prepared himself to praise her. The words came together quickly in his head, forming a congratulatory line that he wound up not saying in time before he felt a hand on his shoulder. As both he and his ginger classmate looked to their sides, neither were overly shocked or startled to meet the gazes of both Daniel and Jonah.
Both asked the foreseeable question of 'how did you guys do?' All answers seemed positive, some not meeting their predicted grades for the end of the year, but all had passed their subjects, including both Christine Scott's and Jonah's high grades in biology. To all of them, regardless of what their plans for the next few years were, they were closer; much closer to their goals, their adulthood and their favoured career choices.
Not soon after they exchanged their words of congratulations, they were approached, the footsteps of the English teacher drawing closer to the group drowned out by the echoed muttering of the other year eleven students in the hall that day. It was due to Simon's quiet arrival that he managed to shock his teenage son, seeing as Connor's response to his hand against his shoulder was to jump, turning on his heels, his eyes widening and his mouth agape until he laid eyes on who he was.

"Dad!" he exclaimed, taking a deep breath to calm his startled pulse, "don't sneak up on me, that wasn't funny."
And yet, all the teenagers observed the smile appearing on the teacher's face as he fought his urge to laugh at his efforts to frighten his son.

"I just wanted to see what you all thought of your results," he shrugged, suppressing his amusement successfully under a much more professional, teacher-like ruse, "but I can see that you're all quite happy, whatever you got." Simply by looking at the four teens he addressed, he saw their delight and enthusiasm, watching as the young redhead girl bounced on her toes, looking back down at her results with a smile that seemed to emit all the happiness and pride she felt to all those around her. In Simon's own experience knowing her, hearing of her negative reputation, he could never have expected such a look on her face. However, as happy as she may find herself, it wasn't Christine Scott that he wanted particularly to speak to. The blonde teacher leaned closer to the lovers, now addressing Connor and Jonah.
His voice hushed to a whisper, leaning closer to the boys so that they could hear. "I've told everyone I need to take you to home, so I am officially excused. How about I take you guys for a drink?"
The boys exchanged a glance, a somewhat disbelieving expression across both of their faces at the suggestion they'd just heard.