XVIII

Xavier:

"Coffee. I want coffee." I demand.

Cal sighs, gently rolls me off him so he can stand, and carefully looks down at me.

"Umm. How do you want to get up? What's the best way without hurting you?"

I reach out for him, and he crouched, letting me wrap my arms around his neck.

"Just—just sorta support my leg and I'll use the other to stand."

He gently loops his arm under my bed leg, right under the knee, the other gently wrapped around my back.

"Wait wait!" I screech, scared that my leg might seize up like it always does when I stand—the movement causing excruciating pain.

"Calm down. Just fix your footing, yeah? Take your time." Cal says adjusting my leg carefully, pulling me more up against his torso so I don't have to lug my whole weight.

"Yeah..." I say trying to get my good leg positioned.

"You ready?"

"Put me down." I demand.

"All I ask is that you don't knee me or else we won't be going anywhere for a while."

——————
Cal:

"Deep breath." I say slowly hauling him up, his foot scraping the floor wildly.

"CAL!" He screams, and he winces, but he's upright and he seems content when he realizes that it's over.

I catch another couple watching us, but Xavier doesn't seem to be paying attention. He's leaning against me, shuffling around for something in his pocket.

"You okay?" I ask glancing down at his leg.

He grunts.

"You want your cane?" I ask

Xavier frowns.

"I would encourage you to take it. People might judge us—I'm bleeding, your limping."

"Maybe Sandy wants it."

I sigh. Glance at the pile of flowers he brought.

"I was an awful husband."

"Did you ever visit her?" Xavier questions.

"A few times. But I knew that she didn't want to see me."

"She's forgiving."

"Are you?"

"I want coffee."

I carefully shuffle a few steps, Xavier refusing to move his leg much. I lean down, run a hand down the smooth stone, moving over and picking up the cane.

Xavier looks distasteful at it, but I use it instead, Xavier using me to support himself.

"Actually I changed my mind." Xavier says when we shuffle down the path, the cool breeze feels nice on my skin, and Xavier seems indifferent that I came.

"Have you now?" I ask, carefully lugging Xavier along with me, his arm around my shoulder, mine around his waist.

"I want ice cream."

I stiffen, and Xavier feels it obviously.

"Sorry. My bad." He says quietly.

"What flavor?" I whisper, not wanting to go relive the moment.

"Calcifer." Xavier scolds, frowning.

I raise an eyebrow. "That's not a flavor, but I'm down with giving you one."