XVII

Xavier:

"I'm sorry..."

Was he?

My eyes drift away from the window and I turn towards Issac next to me. The plane ride is forever, but it's spacious enough. Issac and Elliot are next to me, and we're scheduled to see the girl tomorrow as we land.

Issac is dead asleep against Elliot's shoulder, Elliot busy reading another book, headphones in with music full blast.

I sigh.

There was a part of me that clung onto a sliver of hope that Cal would follow me. A part of me that believed he would come running after me and catch me at the airport before I left. It would be perfect and cliche, with an end where he said he loved me and kissed me and took me home.

——————
Issac wouldn't stop crying, and Elliot refuses to let go of his daughter, even though she needs to go through some health exams before they sign her off.

They're parents now I think as I watch them from behind the camera lens, capturing every moment.

The little girl has wide eyes, probably a bit scared from leaving the nurses she sees everyday at the orphanage, but she seems satisfied in Elliot's arms.

"She's perfect." Issac sobs as he tentatively reaches out to touch her small hands.

My eyes water, hands clutching the camera tightly. Is this what it felt like when Cal had Sukie? Like time stopped for a while, like your life was turned on it's axis...like you had this other reason to live and dedicate your life and time.

I swallow. No wonder why Cal freaked out when Sukie got hurt. Just thinking about my god-daughter getting hurt made my insides queasy.

"What's her name?" I whisper. Elliot was reluctantly giving the little girl to the doctor, his hands lingering.

Elliot pauses, glances at Issac. Issac wipes his eyes, sniffling.
"We never really discussed names." He admits sheepishly.

"You'll figure it out." I say aiming the camera at Issac who tries to wave me off, his hands blocking the lens.
"I'm crying here." He mutters. "I look like crap."

"We all do." I argue. Anybody barely got any sleep, the anticipation kept us up all night.

Elliot laughs, leans over and takes the baby girl back as she finishes her exam. The doctor writing down something.

"Hold her." Elliot whispers to me.

Issac takes the camera from me, Elliot sliding the swaddled blob into my arms.

My eyes train across the face, a face that I refuse to ever forget. She's got those big brown eyes, smooth skin, faint dark wisps of hair.

She watches me, eyes big as she stares back at me. I don't want her to be scared of the way I look, unnerving eyes framed with scarred tissue. I want her to immediately love me the way I immediately loved her. I wanted to tell and show her so much about everything, and how she was going home to caring parents that would never stop loving her too.

My fingers press against her clothing under the blanket, feeling the warmth from her skin. A small cat design is printed on her.

She gives off a small gurgle.

"Yea." I coo softly, "it's a kitty." I say, desperate to say something to her, anything.

"Kihhh." She slurs back suddenly.

Her name: Kit

————————
Cal:

Another week flies by.