Chapter 9

Repercussions

"Naruto."

Ocean-blue eyes slowly opened in response to the beckon as their owner slowly roused himself. Sufficiently aware and noting the fact that above him there was nothing but blue sky and clouds he forced himself up to a seated position, knowing exactly where he was.

"Kyuubi," he returned neutrally, looking at the giant fox that was laying across from him, gigantic head perched on its paws. It did not looked pleased with him.

"Stupid human," it growled, it's right eye locked upon him, "why didn't you give me control."

Knowing that he couldn't lie to the fox because of the precarious situation his father placed on him with the seal he simply sighed and plopped back down.

"How long have I been out?"

"DON'T IGNORE MY QUESTION," the fox roared now up on all fours as it now loomed over him.

Unconsciously, his eyes flitted to the massive fox's neck, seeking reassurance that the seal was in place, before closing them again.

"If I went to five tails what assurance would I have that you'd honor our agreement?"

"ARE YOU SAYING I WON'T?!"

"No. I'm merely noting that an agreement may not mean much when taken into consideration you've been a prisoner for us mortals for almost a hundred years now. If my warden let me free after so long and told me to be back by dinner because that was our agreement do you think I would honor it?"

The fox glowered for a few more moments before it turned away, repositioning itself back where it had been sitting.

"As much as I am loathe to admit it, you are right. But there were consequences for your reluctance in giving me power."

"There always are," he murmured more to himself than anything.

"You shaved four years off your lifespan with that display as we feared would happen."

"Of course," he replied bitterly, "it looks like we will be limited to three tails for the time being."

The fox snorted, "It's your father's fault for dividing me in half."

"You'll have no disagreement from me," he responded, still keeping his eyes closed. There was no point to look around, the place was his mind.

It had been one of the stipulations for their agreement had been that the sewer had to go. As a result, thanks to a lot of meditation he had been able to change it to an open prairie with a forest at the edges. A secondary seal had been positioned to be hidden inside the 'sun' where its 'rays' prevented the Kyuubi from attacking him.

"We'll need to find a way around the Stage II transformation," he responded, "I doubt my father just threw on that seal with the knowledge he had on jinchuriki to limit our potential. There has to be something we're missing."

The fox remained silent, obviously deep in his own thoughts. Sensing that the little meeting was over, he opened his eyes and stood up.