chapter 4

The Reckoning

The village of Konohagakure was in the process of celebration, the energy and festivities at its final high point before the largest day of the hidden village happened in the morning. All that could were getting as much celebration in as possible.

And through it all none were aware of the blue eyes that quietly scanned them from on high.

It had been a busy and harsh month for Naruto, the training he had undertaken with Jiraiya had been a lot harder than he expected. The Sannin hadn't been happy in just the four things he had listed off, instead pushing him even harder to his breaking point. It was probably the greatest thing he could have done, in Naruto's estimation, he had never truly pushed himself to the brink because he couldn't afford to for various reasons.

That should have been what his sensei should have done, he thought with a faint hint of bitterness, writing in his journal in spite of the darkness. That was one if the few things that he had missed, Jiraiya ran him so ragged that he found himself without energy at night to even write. So it was nice to return to his old compulsion after so long without it.

Still, he had not a lot of time left to do this, tomorrow he'd be more than busy, tomorrow would be Neji's reckoning.

But first...

He snapped his journal shut just as an ANBU appeared in a swirl of leaves beside him.

"Good evening, ANBU-san."

"Naruto Uzumaki, the Hokage has summoned you. You are to come with me."

He solemnly nodded as he got to his feet and allowed the ANBU to Shunshin him to the Hokage's office. A few moments later, he was at his destination.

"Evening, Jiji-san."

"Naruto, I take it you know why you're here?"

He could only nod his head, it had been weighing on him since it had happened. The Hokage seemed to sense his trepidation, activating the silencing seal so they could not be eavesdropped on.

"How is he?"

"Still in a coma, unfortunately. But they expect him to wake anytime now."

He sighed in relief, thankful that he had been in time.

It had only been a stroke of luck that he had been there. He had tasked several of his Kage Bunshins to keep an eye on Sabaku no Gaara, intent on seeing if he could discern more of the Ichibi Jinchuriki in terms of overall capabilities. He was rewarded front row seats to the fact that not only was the one-tailed bijuu holder unstable, but he could wield a type of sand cloaked form. He shuddered to think of what could happen if the Ichibi broke its already fragile cage.

Yet for Gekko Hayate it was his salvation. One of Naruto's Kage Bunshin's had witnessed the Tokubetsu Jounin's swift retreat and pursuit. It had interfered, only able to catch up in time to stop Gekko from being killed, grabbing him and Shunshin'ing him to one if his safe houses, then creating another Kage Bunshin to Hiraishin to the Hokage and lead him here while he desperately tried to tend to his wounds, working to just stabilize him until medics could arrive.

It was a calculated gamble by the Kage Bunshin, knowing that its boss would be livid at the reveal of one of his safe houses, even worse the revealing of his information network, but it couldn't be helped, he knew Boss would have been apoplectic if he hadn't acted at all.

It was only a short time later that the Hokage showed up with his ANBU escort and Kage Bunshin to access the seal. An ANBU swiftly got to treating him before evaccing him to a hospital, but the Hokage stayed, the look on his face a mixture of irritation and betrayal as he looked around the safehouse before beginning to interrogate him on the incident.