― 05 | SCRIMGEOUR

Start from the beginning

So littered did the table become with gift wrap that he almost missed a final package at the bottom of the pile. Picking it up, his stomach lurched and his chest tightened as he recognized the handwriting scribbled onto a small note. It was taped onto the wrapping, appearing to have replaced what was once an actual card, and read:

Dear Harry, I didn't get a chance to get you something else. Kind of weird to be giving it to you now. You don't have to keep it. Anyways, happy 17th. —Edelyn

It was a small wooden picture frame with a photograph of the two of them, and Harry's lips parted in awe as he saw the moving engravings of what appeared to be a Quidditch match etched into the borders, stick figures flying on brooms, beating bludgers, catching quaffles, chasing the snitch. The photo stowed inside was one that Harry had never seen before, but by its still nature, one that he concluded must have been taken by Hermione with her Muggle camera sometime in the late spring. He was sitting on one of the courtyard benches at Hogwarts, an adoring smile on his face as he looked down at Edelyn, who had her head rested on his lap. His right hand was playing with her hair while his left was entwined with hers, and she was laughing, nose lightly wrinkled and lips slightly parted. 

"Who's that fro—?" Ron asked, but cut himself short as he saw the picture.

Harry blinked rapidly and quickly pressed it against his chest like he would a book; for some reason, it felt like an intrusion for anyone else to see it. 

Just then, Edelyn entered the kitchen, and upon seeing her gift held in Harry's hands, a light blush rose in her cheeks and she tugged at the sleeves of her cardigan before making her way over. 

"Happy birthday." She offered him a soft smile, and Harry felt that terrible ache return to plague every bone of his body as his eyes met hers.

"Thanks," he breathlessly replied, and if Edelyn hadn't then walked away to pour herself a cup of orange juice, he was sure he wouldn't have been able to stop himself from kissing her.

• • •

HARRY'S BIRTHDAY SUPPER was held in the garden that evening. Several tables were placed end to end and the Weasley twins bewitched a number of purple lanterns emblazoned with a large number 17 to hang in midair over the guests. Hermione added to the decorations by making purple and gold streamers erupt from the end of her wand and drape themselves artistically over the trees and bushes.

"Nice, Hermione." Ron wrapped an arm around her waist. "You've really got an eye for that sort of thing."

With a blush in her cheeks, Hermione pecked him on the lips and said with a beaming grin, "Thanks." 

By seven o'clock, all the guests had arrived, and Edelyn found herself sitting across the long table from Remus and Tonks. She couldn't help but notice that despite his smile, Remus looked awfully unhappy, whereas Tonks looked simply radiant. She was about to ask Remus how he was doing when a streak of light came flying across the yard and onto the table, where it formed into a bright silver weasel.

"Minister of Magic coming with me," the Patronus spoke in Mr Weasley's voice.

Eyes widening, Remus jumped to his feet and grasped Tonks' wrist. "We shouldn't be here. Harry, I'm sorry." He turned to Edelyn. "I'll explain another time." They hastily disapprated, and no more than two seconds later, did a loud CRACK announce the arrival of Mr Weasley and Rufus Scrimgeour. 

"Sorry to intrude." The Minister for Magic halted before the table. "Especially as I can see that I am gate-crashing a party." His eyes lingered for a moment on the giant snitch birthday cake before landing on Harry. "I require a private word with you, as well as Mr Ronald Weasley, Miss Hermione Granger, and Miss Edelyn Black."