Chap 1

The time was about 4 am. He was wide awake. Beer in hand he was sitting in his basement looking at his boat but with an absent mind. It was one of those nights that he preferred sitting on the basement working on his boat rather than lying in a bed and staring at the ceiling. He had woken from a nightmare about two hours ago and he was sure that he wouldn't sleep again that night.
Flashback
They were working on a case. He was anxious to catch the guy. They went into a dark alley. DiNozzo was in front of him with Abby and Ducky. On his right was Ziva and on his left McGee. He didn't know why his M.E. and close friend were in the man-hunt but neither did he know why his forensic scientist were there too. A bang sounded and DiNozzo went down then Abby,Duck,Ziva,McGee. He was standing there unable to move. The shooter in front of him laughing hysterically for having accomplished his task. Gibbs just couldn't move. He couldn't fight and he couldn't run to catch the shooter. He was damned to sit there and watch his family dying slowly.
"Why don't you save us Gibbs?" Said to him Abby with eyes full of pain.
"Yeah Boss? Is that what you want for us? To die?" DiNozzo accused him.
"I am most disappointed in you Jethro" followed Ducky
"I trusted you Gibbs and you betrayed me" Ziva talked next.
"What will you say to my family now Gibbs? That you let their son die?" Said McGee.
"Why don't you save them Dad? Why didn't you save me and mom?" It was Kelly this time. His own daughter that talked. With eyes full of pain and accusation.
He jumped from the bed a whisper leaving his lips.
"Kelly".
End of flashback
It was one of those nights and his gut told him that the day that was coming wouldn't be good too.
**************************************
"So what Zee-vah? What are you gonna do? Shoot me?"
"Tony just watch it...You know I can kill you with one hundred ways with that paper clip you've got there."
It was a typical morning. Ziva and Tony arguing and McGee tapping furiously on his keyboard. The doors of the elevator opened and Gibbs strode out coffee in hand.
"Do that Ziva and the I would kill you"
"Aw Boss thank you!"
"It's not about you DiNozzo it's about bureaucracy. Dead Marine two blocks from here. Grab your gear."
An "On it boss!"sounded with unison from the three agents.
When they arrived at the crime scene they started with photographs,prints,any forensic evidence and with interrogating any witnesses.
McGee found the murder weapon in the garbage can right behind the dead body. A small knife full of blood and prints. Abby was going to love this.
"Corporal Mike Andersen. Marine Corps, 34 years old. No family alive." DiNozzo said.
"Well seems like a sloppy murder to me Gibbs."Ziva remarked.
"Our killer probably didn't want to actually kill him. And when he accidentally did,he panicked." Said Gibbs. "Finish up here and meet me at the headquarters."
He went for his second coffee refill. He still couldn't shake this bad feeling that something was going to happen. When he arrived back at headquarters his team was there. They informed him of the bank accounts of Andersen and concluded that he was probably dealing drugs because he had very large deposits from a Brazilian bank account which the FBI had marked as suspicious. An hour later he went for his usual rounds. Ducky first then Abby.
"Talk to me Duck." he said as soon as he got of the elevator.
"As I figured in the scene the C.o.D. is a stub wound right in the chest. Our poor guy died a painful death Jethro. Other than that I haven't found anything more to help you with. No signs of struggle not anything.This case actually reminds me of a..." he was interrupted by the sound of the elevator's door closing as Gibbs once again left before he had actually began to tell the story.
Once again the doors opened and Gibbs was welcomed in the grounds of NCIS headquarters by the sound of the loud Gothic music.
"Abs turn that down a bit will yah?"
"Gibbs! Right in time as always!" She said enthusiastically as she turned the volume down.
"What've you got for me Abs?"
"Well it was very easy for me to find our guy this time Gibbs. I am a bit disappointed to say as much. I matched the blood in the blade of our murder weapon to the blood of the naval officer you found dead and the prints in the handle of the knife match one George Milan."
"Thanks Abs." he said giving her her Caf-Pow and a kiss on the cheek and left. He returned to the bullpen once again and found his team working.
"McGee search George Milan."
"On it boss! On screen in two" said McGee.
When they had the profile of their killer in the plasma MacGee started talking.
"George Milan,38 years old from Washington D.C. Busted once for theft and twice for drug use. He served a total of nine years. Currently living Georgetown."
"Well what are you waiting for? We have a trip to Georgetown to make!" Gibbs called for his team as he was going for the elevator.
Ziva was driving so the ride wasn't good but at least they got in their destination fast enough. Gibbs and DiNozzo took the front of the house and McGee and Ziva the back. The house was a total wreck.Gibbs knocked the door.
"NCIS! Mister Milan open the door." When he didn't get an answer he pushed the door open himself. He didn't have the time to say anything else because two shot was heard and Gibbs was falling into blackness.