Chapter One: Running From Your Past

August 18, 1930

Wild winds of nature's discord blew through the trees and nearly deafened the man running between them. He kept his hands clasped to his throat, blood seeping between his slender fingers. He was lost, absolutely unaware of his surroundings. In hopes of finding an escape from his pursuers, the man continued to run through unfamiliar territory. He had never seen trees, nor green grass, nor the moon for his entire life, and the sheer idea the world expanded further than the purple rock he grew up staring at terrified him. A raspy cry escaped his cracked lips as he was launched towards the ground after tripping on a fallen branch. Disoriented, he stumbled to his feet and looked around the slightly cleared circle he was in. There, in the clearing, were two other men, one of a large, intimidating stature, and the other of a smaller, stockier size.

Vicious, hoarse screams, soiled by homophobic slurs, soon caught up to the bleeding man as he stood there holding his neck and staring at the strangers. He stumbled forward as the shorter man nodded to him, motioning lightly with his hand. Not but a few seconds later, the clearing filled with an angry mob wielding various weapons, such as bats, wrenches, and pipes.

"It'd be best for the two of you to leave well enough alone and just walk away." One man stepped forward from the crowd, a large hammer clenched in his fist.

"'Fraid we can't do that. You did walk into our territory." The big man, whose shirt barely contained his bulging muscles, stepped forward. His eyes flashed, laced with venom as he stared down at the angry men.

"Just let us teach this faggot a lesson." Someone from the crowd shouted, sparking an uproar. The first man, a tall slender figure with black curly hair desperately shook his head at his new allies. Or he at least hoped they were allies, seeing as they themselves were not fully human.

"I said, you walked into our territory." A demon, inhuman growl left the huge man as his skin suddenly started to glow. In a flash, before anyone could react, a massive teal blue dragon stood in place of the man. Silence rang through the forest as everyone stared in awe at the magnificent beast. The shorter man, with glassy purple eyes gleaming in the moonlight, grinned at the mob.

"It's dinnertime, fellas." He purred, and those three words set off an explosion of frantic energy in the crowd. Like sparks, they all took off running in different directions, tripping over branches and each other, discarded weapons falling into the damp grasses. Laughter escaped the purple eyed man as he watched the group scatter, for he knew the dragon next to him was borderline harmless.

"Man, what cowards." The dragon muttered after switching back to his human form. With a sigh of relief, the black haired gentleman removed his hand from his neck, the skin sticking together with drying blood.

"You good?" Caution stirred in the man's purple eyes as he studied the bloodied stranger before him.

"It's just a scratch. I'll be fine, thanks to you." His voice dripped in a thick British accent, and the low hum of his deep voice rattled the night.

"Anytime, stranger. I'm Maxlar and this is Devon." Maxlar grinned at the other, purple eyes eerily illuminated in the dark.

"Hades." He managed to croak out as he wiped his hands on his pants.

"Blasted fools. Damn geniuses is what they are. Would lose their heads if they weren't attached to their necks." Hades muttered as he brushed dirt and flecks of dried blood off himself. His black suit disappeared in the dark woods, accenting his pale face and hands. He wrapped a black scarf back around his bloodstained neck as a partial bandage and to conceal the wound.

"What exactly happened?" Maxlar asked, almost cautiously, so as not to upset the handsome stranger.

"Frankly, that's none of your business." Maxlar nodded and shoved his hands into his pocket. Waves of light brown hair fell into his face, hiding the fact he desperately needed to shave.