Chapter Eighteen: So Over the Momma Drama

Kale's Steakhouse- 6:15PM

The Greys and the Blacks were becoming one family unit pretty quickly. The small dinner that they had planned quickly became a dinner with over fifteen. The dinner table was full of lighthearted conversation until Ava blurted out one thing that sent a souring mood over the whole table.

"I don't need to throw the bouquet because I already know which couple is getting married next." Ava pointed at Teddy and Tam. Before either of them could state that marriage was something they didn't see happening for years down the road someone yet again made their thoughts known.

"They just started dating I'm sure neither of them should even thinking about marriage," Ana retorted quickly and even thought Christian and Ana were sitting at one of the far ends of the table everyone heard it and someone murmured "oh shit". The whole table got silent because no one really knew where to go with the conversation after that. Tamera took a long swig of her strawberry margarita and emptied her glass.

"Ana's right. I know I'm not thinking about marriage at all where Teddy's concerned." Tam watched as her words put her boyfriend's mother at ease. Teddy looked at her with fury and hurt in his eyes but he didn't say anything because he was wonder where she was going with it.

"Teddy there is so many reasons why we wouldn't work long term. The main reason is a person and she's sitting at this table, and then there's the fact that I'm not sure that I believe in marriage. I just know I couldn't marry anyone knowing that their mother views me the way yours does," she snapped.

"Tam," Phoebe was about to try to make her mother's words right but then decided to try another tactic to cheer her brother up. "Tam, I've known you just as long as Teddy has and I know that you believe in love, marriage, and kids. You always told me you wanted those things." Tam nodded.

"You're right I did want those things and I have nothing against those who still want those things. I just think … it's not for me." Tamera hunched her shoulders and the glanced at Ted. He couldn't look at her. They'd confessed to each other that they saw a future together where was all of this coming from. It was coming from rage. Tam was pissed at Ana and she was buzzed so she wasn't thinking clearly. "I do think that Ava and Blane make a beautiful couple and will have a long and happy marriage. Blane treats Ava like a queen, he always has and he always will." Blane smiled and gripped Ava hand and placed a little kiss on the back of it.

"I don't treat you like a queen?" Ted stated bluntly.

"It's not about how you treat me Teddy. It's about acceptance! Your mother doesn't like nor does she accept me. I'm so tired of this shit!"

"Watch your mouth young lady! I've accepted you into this family since you were thirteen. Contrary to what people think about me at this table where you're concern I have allowed Teddy to date you, but no I wouldn't be happy if you two got married. However, I wouldn't stop the marriage or anything. I wouldn't want to see Teddy that unhappy. I would let him make his own mistakes."

"So your son's interest in my daughter is a mistake?" Isaac had enough. "Your son could do a hell of a lot worse. My daughter is a rarity and I'm the one who should be skeptical of your son but I'm not. I love that kid and thought you at least cared about Tamera. I never knew you were so … there are not words." Isaac said in disgust. "Ana," Christian warned her. She was about to cut a lot of bridges but this conversation was long overdue.

"Quite frankly yes, they're throwing away a good friendship on a relationship that is bound to fail. Isaac come on tell me you see that." Isaac said nothing but he excused himself so he didn't say anything else to ruin the partnership he had formed with Christian by disrespecting his wife. Gina took a deep breath and looked at her cousin who had tears in her eyes and her boyfriend who looked like he had been stabbed in the heart.