Chapter Forty Nine: Getting There

The Grey Mansion – 5:47 PM

Tamera left the office before Teddy. Christian came towards the end of the day and wanted to talk to Teddy. They decided to get a workout before they headed home. She was kind of glad she would have some time sort of to herself. She figured that the others wouldn't come home straight from work. The Grey household always seemed to be busy with an event, project, or something of the like.

After the newlyweds' midday romantic interlude Tamera closed two more deals one for Christian and the other for her dad. She was beat and her new shoes were killing her feet. So much so as soon as she stepped foot into the house she stepped out of them. She was set to head upstairs and draw herself a bath and just mellow. The house was quiet just as she expected and she thought she had a good shot of making it upstairs uninterrupted. However, as soon as she hit the first step she was busted.

"Tamera?" Ana called and Tam sighed a little. She and Ana were on good terms now it was just their conversations were just awkward. Tamera found herself at a loss for things to talk about. Tam didn't trust easy and she felt burnt by her husband's mother. She liked her she just rather deal with her in group settings.

"Hey Mrs. Grey," Tam said as she attempted to sound cheerful as she approached with her shoes in tow. "Where's Phoebe?" Tam hoped she was somewhere in the house and would join them soon.

"Out with Ava doing something for her wedding that can't get here fast enough," Ana answered with a chuckle. "Would you like a drink?" Ana asked as she raised her glass of wine.

"Sure," Tam answered as she strolled further into the living room. She sat down and forgot her idea for a long soak. Ana handed her a glass and exhaled deeply.

"I'm waiting on dinner to cook. Oh I hope in wasn't presumptuous of me to assume you and Teddy would be eating with us?"

"Uh, no I really didn't have any plans on eating. I had a healthy lunch and it made kind of queasy actually," Tam explained, Ana seemed a little put out, and she didn't want to disappoint her. "But I could eat … actually I am a little hungry." There was an odd silence between them.

"You don't have to if you don't want to. I'm not one to force food down someone's throat. That's my husband's job. Seriously I don't advise you eat with us unless you plan on finishing your plate. It drives the man crazy," Ana chuckled and Tam managed a giggle as well. "I just wanted to touch base. I know everything has been kind of crazy. I'm sure you need a sounding board." Tam just shrugged and sighed. Teddy was the only real confidant she felt she needed but she felt she needed to say something.

"Life is hard Mrs. Grey, it always has been for me. Whenever I'm happy there's something around the corner threatening to steal my joy. It's just life," Tam said bluntly she was mainly remembering the time she had growing up with her parents. "I wish it hadn't affected the other members of my family. I know Uncle Jerry isn't happy and Gina and I … it has been very testing."

"I can imagine … so what about Teddy how has he been with all of this?" Tam took a sip of her drink and of course it was delicious, crisp, and fruity.

"He's been a prince and I expected no less. He has done everything in his power to make sure that I'm happy but I'm sure all of this is taking a toll on him too," Tam gave a little smile but then her face sobered as she thought about the situation as a whole. "I have always considered myself a good judge of character and I hate myself a little bit for not seeing Ben for what he is. It also concerns me greatly that theirs is someone out there that helped him do what he did in my home. I would give anything to know who that person is," Tam vented.

"They are working on it," Ana went to grab Tam's and she pulled it away on reflex.

"Sorry," Tam said honestly. "I'm trying to be better."