🍨

Line of waiters ^

—————

As the first rays of sunlight peered into Mikyla's eyelids, she could only affirm that that was the best sleep she had ever had. Her mind felt clearer than the azure blue sky outstretching through the window and as she stretches she feels everything as it should be. Normal. If she hadn't known better she would say everything she just dreamed about was a reality. It sure felt like it, but what matters most is exactly that - it was nothing more than a hectic, yet, she might also go as far to say a thrilling, dream.

Sitting up to rub her bleary eyes, Mikyla, for some reason, felt a lot lighter than usual. Perhaps lucid dreams spend more calories than regular ones but as she scratches her sides she pauses. Regardless of whether certain dreams use more energy than others, it was clear to her why she felt so light. With a few parts missing here and there, the blood drained from her face, only adding to her lightness. She was flat chested.

Mikyla resisted the urge to scream yet as she shifted her hands to her head, the short hair only confirmed the continuation of the nightmare. At first, Mikyla thought that the life of a Noble would be a dream come true, but after last nights events, she couldn't have been more wrong.

She could feel an immovable stone forming in her throat just at the memory of it. Mikyla remembered it as if it were yesterday (most likely because it was) but aside from the corny jokes which did little to lift her mood, Mikyla wished it had never happened.

*Flashback*

Watching the Drows line up one behind the other, each holding a silver platter, Mikyla could feel her mouth water as she sat ravenously at the centre of a long dining table, the tablecloth as blank as freshly fallen snow, awaiting the arrival of the following banquet. Having been fully refreshed, Mikyla sat adjacent her parents in expectancy. After having fumbled around with a suit and bowtie, this was something she could finally enjoy - something she had dreamt of for a long time.

Back when she was a Drow, Mikyla wasn't the lowest of the low but getting three meals a day was generally considered a bonus. Her father, previously being in the plumbing industry, brought home a handsome enough salary but the amount that would be handed to Mikyla on a silver platter very soon would have been more than a year's worth of food, not to mention the quality of the delicacies that Mikyla had never even seen previously.

With the clap of her hands, Mrs. Weyn stood up, her evening gown even more stunning than the one Mikyla had laid eyes on earlier.

"As you all know, this is a very special occasion, for you and us alike. Outside of our sophisticated society, your kind are celebrating their servitude to ours and likewise, within the confines of royal civilisation, we mark the birth of a new man. We raise our glasses to our son, Mikael, as he transitions into the heir of our humble estate."

Mikyla could feel her face redden. It had never occurred to her that whilst the Drows had the branding of The Verdant Mark, the Nobles would have their own conventions. It should have been obvious. Back home it was her birthday as well as everyone else's who was born in the same lunar cycle and Nobles were no exception. She had just stressed too much over The Verdant Mark to realise - it was her sixteenth birthday - her transition into womanhood, or manhood in this timeline.

"As per tradition." Mrs. Weyn raises a glass. "We must cast aside the past to pave the way for the future. We are sure your descendants will have the competency to take over your positions and without further ado, you may present us with the first dish - Miss Mary Clarence."

The first Drow in line gave a short curtsey before taking a visible gulp and holding her head high. She proceeded to make her way over to Mikyla where she served the first dish but Mikyla's appetite was now all but nought. After disembodying the turducken evenly, Mary Clarence lingered beside the table giving Mikyla a weak smile before getting on Mr. Weyn's nerves.