🔥

Talking tree ^

—————

The sense of vertigo was sickening as Mikyla's body warped between space time. Although her end point destination was relatively close, the light year distortion was like a tsunami within the pits of her stomach and if she hadn't been late to school she was sure the contents would have already been caught up in the singularity. Instead, with a threatening linger of bile, Mikyla clamped one hand firmly over her mouth and she stumbled away from the swirling blue mass that continued to spout queasy nobles one at a time into the solitude of a forest which Mikyla had once been warned to stay well away from.

As the black spots dispersed from her vision, Mikyla leant against a nearby tree waiting to catch her breath which seemed to be lost on the other side of the portal. They were quite frankly in the middle of nowhere and with no yellow brick road to guide them home the words 'no time limit' echoed within the recesses of her mind, quickly drawing in the fact that they were helpless. They were essentially a bunch of children trapped in the woods. Trapped in the woods; a wilderness of magical beasts.

"My, my, is it that time already?"

Mikyla whips her head towards the sound of a nearby voice but the dizziness must have not subsided for she was met by nothing by a tree trunk.

"Time flies by quickly in the modern age doesn't it?"

Once again, the earthen voice brings itself to Mikyla's but this time to many others as well. Those who had fought of the tide of portal lag were quick to join Mikyla in standing in front of the tree trunk but once again the voice had disappeared as soon as it started.

"What was that?"

"Did anybody else hear a voice?"

"Is this part of the test?"

Question volleyed between Nobles as the portal belched out it's last victim. Before long everyone had huddled around the tree trunk in a sort of camp fire ring yet no-one was none the wiser.

"You know, it was once common knowledge to use those you have more of more frequently." The voice muttered beckoning Mikyla towards the tree trunk. "You know what I'm talking about dear, don't you? Why, the answer is as plain as your face!"

Mikyla scratched her head as she slowly gravitated towards the trunk. Nobody was paying attention anymore, they were all in a frenzy for dominance. With no adults around it was obvious that chaos would escalate be it from Drows or even Nobles.

"I'm sorry- are you talking to me?" Mikyla looks around not knowing where exactly she should direct her voice. "I don't think I quite know what you mean..."

"Yes child, I am talking to you. After all, even though you may not know the answer, you have already demonstrated it instea-"

"Hey Mikael! I was wondering where you got off to!"

Mikyla spins around to meet Sam who is pushing his way through the asteroid belt of argumentative Nobles. He seems to be unfazed by the sudden turn of events and almost appears to be in his element without any authoritative figures adound. Strange. He was one of the ones who took the notion of magical society the hardest but here he is now looking as if he runs the place. It must be his Noble blood - they take whatever they want without any regard as to-

"Hey Mikael! Say something back wontcha? I mean, being stuck in the middle of the forest isn't exactly my cup of tea but liven up, you know? Say, what are you up to anyway?"

Mikyla blinks at the sudden entourage of speech and the words 'act natural' scream inside her head.

"Oh!" Mikyla quickly wraps her arms and legs around the thick trunk as best she can. "Nothing much. Just hugging this here tree. If I remember right, hugging trees is supposed to help you with directions or something..."