Chapter 21

Chapter 21

     “Um, Gail. C-Can I ask you something?” My hazel eyes meet with his green ones. I nod, and we start to walk to a quieter area. As soon as we’re alone, Harry takes a deep breath.

     “What is it?” I look up at him, and he starts to talk.

     “I was wondering if… You wanted to go to the, uh, Miami Beach Fest on Saturday.” He scratched the back of his neck awkwardly, and I giggle. Did I just giggle? Wow. I really need a brain check or something.

     I think for a few seconds, and then I smile up at Harry. “Sure, I’ll go with you.”

     His eyes widen for a minute, and then he smiles. “Great. I’ll pick you up at 8:00?”

     I smile and nod at him, and he hugs me. Harry smells good. He smells like lavender and vanilla. After we’re done hugging, we rush off to fifth period.

-----------------------

     Everyone in class is sitting and talking amongst themselves, and Natalia and I are talking. We’re talking about how annoying Shelby is and someone posted a video of it online. It already got 200 views.

     “When you poured the milkshake on Shelby, I was so ecstatic, Gail! You don’t even know!” She laughs as she blows another gum bubble.

     “We all know that she deserved it!” The bell rings, Natalia and I say our goodbyes and she leaves the room. Harry and I start to walk and talk. I learned that we have some things in common. We both like to tell corny jokes and we’re both terrified of snakes. How could one not be terrified of snakes?!

     “Okay, okay. I have another one.” Harry laughs as he prepares himself to tell another joke.

     “Okay, go.” I grin and he tells his joke.

     “Why does everyone hate nosy peppers?” He asks, and I shrug. “Because they get jalapeno business!”

     I bite my lip so I won’t screech from laughter. The joke wasn’t funny, but the fact that it wasn’t funny, but stupid made me laugh. That was a long explanation, I know. I’ve been in the Nerd Herd for too long. Harry and I say goodbye as we make our way to our 7th period classes.

---

     Kay and I are talking at our lockers as we get ready to go home.

     “Curly alert.” Kay looks behind me, and I turn around. Harry is standing behind me with his hands in his pockets. I wonder why guys do that all the time.

     “Hey, Gail.” Harry smiles at me, revealing his dimple. We look into each other’s eyes for a while, and Kay clears her throat.

     “I’m gonna go because Janine is waiting for me outside.” Kay hugs me goodbye, and goes outside to meet her stepmother, leaving Harry and I.

     “Do you want me to drive you home?” Harry asks me, looking down at his shoes. He’s being so thoughtful today! I nod, and we walk to his car.

---

     Harry and I have just left and ice cream place, and continued driving to my house.

     “Where do you live anyways, Harry?” I ask him as he makes a right turn.

     “Right across from you.” He laughs, and my eyes widen.

     “Really? And I’ve never noticed you all this time!” My phone starts to ring. It’s Ricki.

     “Hey, Ricki.” I say as soon as I press the answer button.

     “Gail, you’ve got to get home quick! I got the hint!” Ricki yells into the receiver. I gasp, and I quickly say goodbye and start talking to Harry.

     “What happened?” He asks, and I quickly explain that there’s an emergency and I’ve got to get home. Thank God Harry understands.

     We pull up at my house and we exchange phone numbers before I get out and run into my house.

     “Ricki I’m here!” A few seconds later, I see Ricki running down the stairs with a box in her hands. She stops for a moment to catch her breath and then walks quickly to me.

     “I have the hint.” She says in between breaths. I snatch the box and run to the living room.

     “AUNT ANYA! LUCAS! CHAD! A HINT IS HERE!” Everyone runs down the stairs, and they all intently watch as I open the box. As we rummage through it, we find a tape and a letter.

     “Well?! Put it in the DVR!” Lucas pretty much screams, and I slap him on the side of his head.

     I call Shane and Harry, and they both arrive within 5 minutes. Time to watch this video.

---

     We’re all in my living room, getting ready to watch this tape. I take a deep breath, and Harry grabs my hand, giving it a reassuring squeeze. We make eye contact, and a small smile is on his face. I return it, and we look back at the TV. The tape has started.

     “Hello, Thorne family. Wilsons,” M starts to speak. They look the same. Same mask. Same wig. Same everything. “It’s M. You should know that already.”

     “Sick bastard.” Lucas growls, and Aunt Anya shushes him. M continues to speak, and we all watch intently.

     “This is your hint on who I am. Gail, you should know. I was one of your little friends at school. Until you stole the ones I loved in the middle of your freshman year. You should’ve stopped stealing my friends then. You and Shane’s sisters would’ve been okay. But no, you had to steal all of my friends! But I’m a sister of someone you know. I also had a thing with your brother… Hello, Lucas. I haven’t seen you since 8th grade. Little asshole is probably the same charming skater he was.” We all look at Lucas, and his face is flushed red, but he still keeps his cool as if he’ll tell us later. Then, we all return our attention back to the TV, or M. Whatever.

     “I bet you want to see your little family sweethearts now don’t you? Of course you do.” M starts to walk down the hall and opens the door to the same room; TKW. They open the door, and I notice lightly tanned skin with a red butterfly on fire on M’s wrist. I pause the tape, and I rewind it to the tattoo. Ricki starts to write this down, as if we’ll need this later.

     M opens a door to reveal Krista and Christina being beaten by other masked people. What is this?! The Purge?!

*LUCAS’ POV*

     This M persona opens the door, and I see my sister and Shane’s little sister being beaten. I can’t stand to look at this, but I need hints.

     I start to think about who Gail was friends with, and who I apparently had a thing with. I think about the butterfly tattoo. Nothing rings a bell, but I think of the girls that I’ve dated. I remember Amber, Karilyn, Michaela and Mina, but since M is psycho, I have to think of someone who probably had an insane crush on me. Every girl in the 8th grade had a crush on me except for my current best friend, Kramer. I could call Kramer and see who had an insane crush on me! Genius! I go back to watching the tape. M had closed the door, and is now speaking.

     “Gail, you have a month. So do you, Shane. But then, your sisters will be no more. They’ll be buried 6 feet underground in an unknown place. Goodbye, family and friends.” I look at my sister, whose eyes are widened, and she runs upstairs to her room. I don’t blame her. Aunt Anya goes to chase after her, but the curly haired guy stops her and walks upstairs himself.

     He better not hurt her.