Chapter 3

Chapter 3

     “What are you doing here, geek?!” Shelby shrieks in disgust at me and I look back down at my feet nervously.

     “I-I was he-helping S-Shane s-study for the physics e-exam coming up.” I say quietly, still looking at my feet, not wishing to look up.

     “Ew! Don’t touch my brother! He’ll get nerd germs!” She scrunches her nose and looks pointedly at Shane. “Why are you hanging with her?!”

     “I’m hanging with her because Gail is a nice person!” He yells back at Shelby. I see her flinch a little at his loud voice, but she still keeps her position. Shane steps in front of me so I don’t have to look at Shelby’s bitchy face. Okay that was lame, but you know what I mean…maybe.

     “I don’t want her in our house, Shane and you--” Shelby starts, but gets interrupted by Krista.

     “Shelby, why are you so mean?! Gail really is a sweet person. I like Gail better than you because she actually cares more about her grades and other people, while you only care about damn faux handbags! All you do is complain and try to belittle other people, but you’re not so amazing yourself. I’m sick of you,” Krista hooks her arm around mine and keeps talking. “Even though you’re my older sister, Gail has been a better sister to me so far than you’ll ever be.”

     “Krista! You’re supposed to be on my side!” Shelby scoffs.

     “Well I don’t want to be. You’re so mean to everyone and every time I want to spend time with you, all you do is say ‘I’ll spend time with you later, Kris’. I’m sick of you being so bitchy! Everyone has feelings and a heart, Shelby! But apparently, Shelby, you don’t have feelings or a heart!” Krista goes on. “Mom and dad would be really disappointed to see that their so-called angelic Shelby Anne Wilson was actually a total bitch.”

     We’re all standing there and staring at Krista, who had just told off her sister, the biggest bitch in the school. Nobody had the nerve to do that at Roosevelt! Now that I think about it, since Krista is Shelby’s sister, and Krista has known Shelby longer it’s obvious that she’d tell her own sister off.

     “Wow,” Shelby’s friend, Cindy whispers in shock. “You just got told off by a 13 year old!”

     Cindy and Amanda start to laugh, but they immediately stopped when Shelby sends them both a look. There’s still a tense silence, and Krista is still steaming angry, so I step in to relieve some of the tension between all of us.

     “Kris, let’s go to your room so you can calm down.” I whisper to Krista as I place my hand onto her shoulder. She flinches slightly, but nods and we go to her room.

     We sit down and I immediately start talking to her. “Why’d you go off down there?” I internally smile at myself because I didn’t stutter. ‘WOOHOO!’ my inner self congratulates me.

     “I’m just so sick of Shelby being so mean to everyone!”  Krista grits her teeth and I see her clutch her bed sheets in anger out of the corner of my eye.

     “I get that, but why did you seem so angry?” I ask her. Her body starts to relax, and she actually turns to look at me.

     “She bullies everyone! When I was 10, she was so rude to every single one of my friends that came over. It’s driving me crazy!” She explains to me. “Shelby thinks just because our parents are multi-millionaires, she can belittle everyone that isn’t her or like her.”

     “I get it, Kris. Shelby’s rude to everyone, especially the people in my group. I get that it drives you crazy and I get that all you want is to spend some time with an older sister that’s not a bully. I have a sister that’s your age. She drives me absolutely crazy, but I still love her. I’m sure that’s how Shelby feels deep inside.” I assure her, pulling her into a hug. She stays in the hug and I feel something wet on my arm. Krista’s crying!