Chapter 30

Do you guys like the quick updates or should I spread them out more? I've been updating quicker because I really wanna finish this book soon but let me know! :)

Caroline's POV

Things aren't the same.

Klaus is in love with me. I've come to terms with it, even if it is a bizarre thing to think about. Now it's all I notice, though.

The way his eyes dart to my lips when I speak, as if hungry for something. The way his hand touches my shoulder to comfort me. The way he speaks my name like it's his favorite word to say. The way he knows my mood just by looking at me. The way he knows me better than I do. It's overwhelming at times.

It's all so clear to me, I don't know how oblivious I was before to not notice it.

"Caroline?" he asks, his voice low.

I look beside me, the light barely shining through the curtains. Sleeping in the same bed isn't unusual for us. It happens almost every night now.

"Hm?"

"Never mind, I just wanted to make sure you were still here," he responds sleepily, lazily turning to my side to face me.

I've been up for hours, unable to sleep. The only thing on my mind is him, it's like he haunts my thoughts every waking minute. God, it's aggravating.

My eyes scan the clock reading 5:32 am. I sigh heavily, throwing the blankets off of me and heading to the dresser. I slip into one of Klaus's sweatshirts, the material falling to my upper thigh. I shiver, looking outside. It's nearing winter, meaning the house is ten times colder than usual.

I look to the bed, watching as Klaus gently snores, his hand in the place where I was previously laying.

I tiptoe out of the room and downstairs into the living room. Emily isn't awake yet, so the lights are all off, the only source of light being from the dim sunlight which is barely in the sky yet. When I look outside through the curtains, the moon is still visible.

Falling onto the couch, I wrap myself in the gray blanket laying beside me, my teeth nearly chattering. Is the heat even on?

I can't even sleep next to Klaus anymore. It's like my body refuses, my thoughts only on his every move and not focused on falling asleep.

I finally allow myself to shut my eyes, groaning when after a few minutes later, I still can't seem to go to bed. My eyes scream for any sort of rest but my mind denies it, continuing to race.

Annoyed, I grab the remote, turning on the television and scanning through the channels. Maybe it'll help me close my eyes for a few minutes. That's all I want, just a few moments to myself.

"Can't sleep?" a husky voice calls out which I know can't be Emily's.

My heart races, an abnormal feeling in the pit of my stomach. Nerves? Around Klaus? This hasn't happened to me until I knew his true feelings towards me. Now all of a sudden I have butterflies from just looking at him.

"Mhm," I answer, moving over so he can sit beside me.

"Me too," he says, and I can tell he's lying. He looks exhausted, he just want to make sure I'm alright.

"You should get some sleep, you look tired," I tell him, and he raises his eyebrows with a sleepy smirk.

"You're one to say that."

"Hey, I tried to sleep, I can't. You can, so do it," I lecture him like a mother would, causing him to chuckle. The noise sends chills to my spine.

"Okay, okay. Can I stay here, though? I don't have nightmares around you and it's kind of nice to actually be able to sleep the night," a faint blush spreads on his face which looks utterly adorable.

I smile, "of course."

Klaus lays his head on my lap, and I don't mind it at all. I instinctually run my fingers through his curls, something I know calms him.

"That feels nice," he hums, and I can't help but to smile at his tired state. He lets his humanity show when he's tired.

"Shh, go to bed," I order.

I look down at him, amazed. I used to hate Klaus with all of my heart, now I don't know how I feel. It's weird. I almost consider him my closest friend.

My eyes close, my hand slowly coming to a stop. I lean my head on the couch, making sure not to wake Klaus as I reposition, pulling the blanket over the two of us as I finally fall asleep.

• • •

Short but sweet chapter. Gosh I love these two! :) Writing them comes so easy to me because I can almost feel how they feel about each other.

You guys probably hate me for being 30 chapters in and nothings happened yet, but if you think about it, Caroline was terrified of Klaus in the first few chapters- now she possibly has feelings for him? That's a win in my terms!

Anyways, vote and comment!

XoXo