I spend the rest of my shift moping around. When it's time for me to take my break, I look to Diana nervously. I walk to the bookstore with my hands shoved deep into my pockets. I open the door and my eyes dart behind the counter and immediately fall upon Elena and Diego, who are standing a few feet apart in silence. Diego sees me and visibly stiffens, which makes my heart drop to my stomach. I slowly approach the counter in an attempt to give him some time to think about what to do. I watch as he contemplates disappearing to the back and letting Elena take my order but he decides against it and begins preparing my drink.

I don't even glance at Elena, knowing that my blood will start to boil if I do. I know what happened is in the past but I still don't like looking at her. "That'll be $2.86," he tells me in a somewhat robotic voice. I stare at him and he gives me a forced smile, which only makes me feel worse. I hand my card to him and he takes it, swiping it and returning it to me. To avoid any further awkwardness, I take my drink and return to the bookstore. Diana doesn't ask what happens because I have a feeling that she knows.

It isn't until Sage picks me up that I get some good news. I toss my bag in the back of her car and wave goodbye to Diana before getting into the passenger's seat. "He said he'll see what he can do," Sage informs me.

"Diego?" I ask, which gets a nod from her.

"He said that his dad is hovering a bit but he'll try to come," she explains and I suddenly feel eager to check my phone. I reach into my purse and dig around a bit for my phone. I grab it and scroll through my notifications only to find that none of them are from him.

"Does he know I'm going to be there?" I ask.

"No, I just asked if he wanted to come out tonight," she replies. "Why?"

I sigh as I drop my phone back into my purse. "His dad really hurt his feelings last night and he's being distant. He said he needs space but I don't know. Things just feel off," I mumble. "I don't know what to do. I've texted him. I've tried calling. Should I visit?"

"Well, let's see if he shows up tonight. You can talk to him then," she replies.

Sage tries to cheer me up by playing music as we get ready but I only feel dread as I pull on my jeans and t-shirt. She braids my hair and I just stare at my phone, waiting for a response. It's been 10 hours since he's replied. Soon enough, Sage and I are in the car driving to the party. Quincy and Webster are within walking distance of it so they took it upon themselves to arrive earlier.

"Let's not get separated this time," Sage insists as we enter the house. I trail behind her as she looks for Quincy and Webster, who we find in the garage talking to a couple of girls. I stand there trying my best to participate in the conversation before excusing myself to the bathroom. Sage tells me to come right back before I dip into the house. I take a left and am submerged into the kitchen where I spot a familiar face. Before I can turn on my heel and leave, he spots me.

"Well, hello Orion," he grins at me. "I didn't peg you for such a partier but this is my second time seeing you at one. It must be fate, right?"

"Hi, Roman," I grunt awkwardly. He peers around me dramatically before tilting his head.

"Where's your boy toy?" he inquires and I repress the urge to sigh. I wish I knew.

"At home," I respond and he nods.

"Does he know you're here?" he continues to question. I notice the slightly glassy look to his eyes and sum it up to him being under the influence.

"Yeah," I lie.

"He wouldn't be too happy if he knew you were hanging out with me, right?" he asks. Before I can tell him that we aren't hanging out, he laughs. "On a scale of one to ten, how much do you think he hates me?"