Chapter Thirteen

The first week without Diego passes by slowly. It drags as I sit in my room, hoping that he'll come and knock on my door to distract me from my homework for an hour or two. On a brighter note, I took the time alone to catch up with my homework and even made time to hang out with Diana on Thursday. It also became common for me to skip my study hall to hang out with Sage, Webster, Quincy, and Diego. Whenever we do that, Sage drives me home so I won't have to rush back in time to catch a ride with my brothers.

I'm sitting in a pile of books I bought myself with my paycheck, trying to decide which one I should read first, when a notification sounds from my phone. I shuffle the books around in search of the device. I find it and look at the message. There is a party tonight. Do you want to go?

I look at Diego's message and contemplate my answer. I mean, I could go out and hang with him, Sage, Quincy and Webster...or I could stay inside and read my book. Before I can text back a response, he calls me. I let it ring for a second before I pick up.

"Hey," I greet him.

"Hi," he replies. "I don't mean to blow up your phone. It's just, I'm on break and can't exactly have a conversation over text for long so I figured calling would be more efficient. So...did you see my text?"

"Yeah..." I trail.

"If you don't want to go, you don't have to. If you want, we can just hang out or something. Unless you don't; I don't want to be monopolizing your time," he rushes and I smile into the phone.

"No, I want to go," I confirm.

"Okay, Sage said she'll pick you up. I'm going to get there late because I work until ten tonight but I'll see you there," he explains.

"Alright," I reply.

"Alright," he responds. "I'll see you then."

I hang up and stare at my phone. Sage texts me very soon after and tells me when she'll come by to pick me up and that I can spend the night at her house tonight if I want. I suddenly realize I have to ask my parents for permission. I drag myself out of bed and head downstairs where my parents are jointly making dinner.

"Hey," my mom greets me with a smile on her face. My dad nods in my direction as he licks the spoon of the cake my mom is putting into the oven.

"Can I go out tonight?" I ask, trying to be as vague as possible. I don't want to mention Sage if I don't have to. They've come to recognize her car because my mom has seen it multiple times this week when I was being dropped off. My nosy parents will definitely peek out of the window when I get in the car tonight.

"Where to?" my mom asks.

"With who? When will you be back?" my dad finishes.

"A movie with Webster, Sage, Quincy, and Diego," I explain and my parents glance at each other. "Sage asked me to spend the night."

"When are we going to meet this Sage girl?" my mom blurts and I shrug. "Well is she going to pick you up tonight?" I nod and my mom smiles. "Can she join us for dinner?"

I open and close my mouth a few times and my dad picks up on my hesitation. "Do you want to go out tonight or not?" I suddenly realize I don't have a choice. It's either have Sage join us for dinner or I can't go out at all.

"I'll ask," I tell my parents in defeat. I text Sage as I head upstairs.

O: My parents want to meet you before I spend the night at your house.

S: Okay, that sounds cool.

O: They want you to stay for dinner.

S: Okay. What time should I come over?