Chapter Three

It's currently Wednesday and my mom's driving (more like speeding) me and Diego to the plaza. I have fifteen minutes until my shift starts but we need to talk to Sue. As we arrive, my mom idles in front of the coffee shop and tells us she'll see us at the end of my shift. "You're just going to leave him here for four hours?" I ask my mom as I grab my bag at my feet. She glances at him as he taps away on his phone and shrugs.

"He brought his homework," my mom expresses and I glance at Diego's bag hanging off of his shoulder.

"Four hours worth?" I ask.

"You work at a book store. I'm sure he'll find something in there to read," my mom replies before insisting that she has to go.

"Are you ready?" I ask Diego and he replies with a short shrug. I lead the way to the coffee shop, pushing open the door. He enters without thanking me and I just roll my eyes, stepping ahead of him. I approach the counter to find Sue making coffee.

"Hey, Orion. You're a bit early," she greets me.

"Hey, Sue. I thought I'd stop by before my shift. Remember when I told you I had a friend looking for a job?" I ask as I place both my arms on the counter.

"Yeah, is that him?" she inquires as she peers over my shoulder. I turn around to see Diego looking around the cafe curiously, glancing at the paintings hanging up on the walls.

"Yeah," I answer before breaking my gaze away from him to look at Sue. "He doesn't really do much talking."

"Well, call him over and I'll see about hiring him," she replies with her bright smile.

"Diego," I call and he turns around. His eyes trail from me to Sue and then back to me. I nod for him to approach us and he does, stopping beside me at the counter.

"So you're looking for a job, I hear?" Sue asks, getting a nod in response from Diego. "What makes you want to work here?"

"Uh..." he trails awkwardly. He shoots me a sideways glare and I can tell he's mentally yelling at me for not telling him there'd be questions. "I like coffee?" It comes out as more of a question than a statement.

Sue gives a chuckle. "Do you work hard?" she questions and I know he wants to shrug but he plays it off by adjusting his shirt.

"Yeah," he answers quietly.

"Do you have any previous work experience?" she asks.

"I mean, I've done volunteer work, if that counts," he replies, unsure. This factoid surprises me.

"I have an application for you to fill out. When you hand it in, I'll get back to you about your hours," Sue answers.

"So he has the job?" I ask Sue and she nods. Diego offers a small smile but it doesn't seem genuine at all. In fact, I think it'd have been better had he not tried at all.

"But you got three strikes and then you're out," she warns sternly as she slides an application across the counter. Diego takes it in his hand and nods at her.

"Thanks," he mutters quietly.

"Thank you, Sue. I'll see you on my break for my hot cocoa," I call to her as I leave the store with Diego in tow. As soon as the door closes, I look at him. "You're lucky Sue's a nice lady. You'd have blown that interview had it been with a complete stranger."

"I don't talk to adults all that much. Whenever I do, they're usually yelling at me," he explains as we reach the book store. I grab the door handle and pull it open.

I don't really know how to respond to his statement so I just look around the store, locking eyes with Diana, who immediately looks at the boy standing behind me. "Just go find somewhere to sit and don't cause any problems."