I stood sheepishly, scanning the endless dresses that graced the store. But the one I'd seen was the most beautiful. My feet carried me over to where a stand held the price in front of the dress. As I peered closer, my eyes widened.

I was right. Way too expensive.

But before I could look at it any longer, Max took it off the stand and held it out in front of him.

"Go try it on," he urged, extending it for me to take. "If you don't, I will."

I laughed after imagining the sight.

Rolling my eyes, I walked past him and towards the exit.

"Don't be crazy, it's too much money."

Max jumped in front of my tracks, laying the dress into my arms.

"Live like you're dying, remember?" His wide eyes were full of hope as he reminded me of the promise we'd made each other. With one final glance between the dress and his hopeful expression, I sighed in defeat.

»»————-  ————-««

As I stared in the mirror of the dressing room, I felt exhilarated. The dress fit perfectly, hugging my curves where appropriate and falling like a waterfall to my feet. The light color was a flattering contrast against my darker complexion, and the brown in my eyes seemed almost lighter.

Taking a deep breath, I pushed aside the curtains and stepped out of the dressing room, placing both hands on my hips. Max looked up from where he'd been reading a nearby book, his green eyes widening, mouth slightly agape. He stood to his feet, walking closer to me, eyes scanning me from head to toe, and finally meeting mine.

Finally, he seemed to regain his composure, but the distance between the two of us was still small.

"Amora," he whispered, "You are beautiful."

It didn't take many words from him to make butterflies dance in my stomach. And those three simple words sounded extravagant leaving his lips, making a part of me melt. I smiled in response, trying desperately to hide my blush.

His hand reached up and he slowly unclasped the clip that was holding my hair up in a bun, allowing it to fall down my shoulders and back, the rose behind my ear still intact.

"Perfezionare." He smiled, ignoring to translate that word. But I had a feeling I knew what it meant.

I stepped back, feeling my stomach churn with something I couldn't describe, and cleared my throat.

"Time to return to reality." I sighed as I backed into the dressing room.

Max shook his head rapidly, taking my hand and pulling me back.

"Keep it on!"

"No way," I looked down at the material, upset that I'd have to say goodbye soon, "It's too much money."

Before I could protest, Max grabbed my backpack and led me out of the dressing room and back into the shop. I tugged his arm, desperately trying to stop him in his tracks.

"Seriously, Max." My tone was serious now, but he didn't seem affected. He simply stared at me, his eyes gleaming. "Where will I even wear this? And I can't let you buy it for me."

He shook his head in disappointment, a sigh escaping his lips.

"I have an idea. And you can pay me back, I promise."

It was hard to say no to him, and a part of me couldn't imagine parting from the dress. So I nodded, and he jumped in victory.

»»————-  ————-««