» thursday

For the second day in a row, when I descended the stairs of the motel, I was met with a smiling, adorably-dressed Max. His hair was wild as ever, and eyes brighter than before. In his hands was a bouquet of classic roses, about four or five of them. He extended them to me when I stepped down in front of him.

"Buongiorno amore," Max smiled, "Good morning, love." He'd asked me earlier if I minded him speaking Italian to me, and there was nothing more beautiful than the sound of his language from his mouth. I could just sit and listen to him speak the entire day.

A blush the color of the flowers crept onto my cheeks, and I took them from him bashfully. I felt and probably looked like a child as I brought them up to my nose, letting the sweet, delicate scent overwhelm my senses.

"Max, why do you spoil me?" I asked as I linked my arm into his, tucking the roses into the side of my backpack.

His body shook with laughter, then he peered down at me with curiosity.

"Spoil? You act as if no one has ever brought you flowers before."

His words were spoken with a light heart, and he was so sure of himself. My steps faltered just a bit, and I tried to suppress the pang in my chest. No one had bought me flowers before.

Stopping in his tracks, his eyes widened as he placed his hands gently on my shoulders.

"Really? No one?"

Not meeting his sharp gaze, I shook my head.

"Someone used to tell me that they were superficial. And pointless."

Max seemed tense, his jaw clenched as he took in the pain in my eyes. He shook some thoughts out of his head and tucked a stray strand of my hair behind my ear. He took one of the roses from my backpack and placed is behind my ear, bringing back a sense of déjà vu from the day before.

For a moment, we stood there, his hand on my cheek, and my heart beating out of my chest. Green eyes locked onto my brown ones.

"There is nothing superficial about their beauty. And yours."

His words were soft as they left his lips. In his deep eyes swam a solemn look, and I wondered right then if all this time, I'd been missing out. Max, though we were friends of sorts, showed me affection so real that it made me question what I'd experienced before.

"Maybe it's the gesture that counts."

The smile returned to his lips when he saw mine, and he led us down the city. We walked quietly for several minutes, passing many boutique shops and restaurants. I gazed into the window of each one, and stopped in my tracks when something caught my eye.

A dress in the display window of a boutique shop named Floreale. It was unlike the countless ones I'd seen before.

The dress was the lightest of pinks, the sleeves falling off the shoulders. It was floor-length and the chiffon material fell elegantly towards the mannequin's feet. It was simple, yet beautiful, and I'd forgotten that Max was standing beside me.

He opened his mouth to speak, but a grin stretched across his lips when his gaze followed mine.

"Sorry." I shook my head, beginning to walk away. "I just got distracted."

Max grabbed my arm and pulled me back, pointing to the dress.

"Do you like this?" He asked, excitement in his voice.

I nodded, and turned to leave again.

"I do, but it's probably absurdly expensive."

Before I could keep walking, I found myself being pulled away from the sidewalk and into the boutique, an eager Max by my side. Within seconds, he was speaking to the shopkeeper animatedly, pointing towards the dress.