Chapter Twenty: Dinner With The Family

Becka wasn’t kidding. It took a long while for me to believe a word that came out of her mouth. However, after hours of her explanation and answers to each and every one of my questions, it started to seem like she was completely serious. I was still skeptical about it for the longest time. That is, until she handed me a black leather bound book.

                “This was dad’s journal. I’m going to leave you on your own for a bit to look it over. Whether you believe me and what’s written in that book, it’s all true,” Becka had said.

                The dark notebook felt heavy in my hands. Two large letters were engraved into the material on the cover: B.B. Blake Blackwood, my father. The leather was worn and rugged. It was cool in my hands. The pages on the side were bulky and snippets of other things such as photos and sticky notes stuck out from the edge.

                Rising to my feet, I walked upstairs to my room. Once I was behind closed doors, I sat down on the bed and slowly opened the journal. A faded piece of paper fell from the front of the book. Cursing under my breath, the paper floated down to the floor and coasted under my bed. I sighed and knelt down beside the mattress, grasping underneath it for the discarded scrap.

                Finding it, I took a look at what it was. Instead of extra notes like I had expected, it was a photograph. A man and woman sat on a park bench together, smiling from ear to ear. Two little girls, one looking to be about five years old, the other just a baby, sat with the couple. It was faded and grainy looking, but it was easy to tell that it was my family, way before the tragedies we ended up experiencing.

                “Mom… Dad…” I felt tears stinging at my eyes for whatever reason. Happy tears, maybe. But they definitely weren’t because of sadness. I hadn’t seen this picture before. It was one of the only ones that captured all four of us together. Most of the pictures we had were either before I was born, or after my mother had died.

                I climbed back onto the bed and tucked the picture back where it was supposed to have been. Then, I began flipping through the tattered pages of my father’s journal. Each sheet of paper was filled with my father’s scratchy, scrawled hand writing. It was quite messy, but I got the hang of reading it after a minute.

                My mind was presented with knowledge about all kinds of magical creatures. Some I had never heard of, but others had very familiar names. However, their traits were different from what I had thought they would be. Take demons for example. I had thought that they would be little impish creatures, with leathery skin and claws. But, much to my surprise, they take on the forms of humans by possessing people, who are referred to as the demon’s vessel.

                One tale tell sign of demon possession, as the journal stated, was blacked out eyes. If that was true, then that means that Ryan was possessed by a demon! That would explain everything! How he knew that I would be trouble, obviously because of my dad, and how his eyes seemed to turn black every once in a while. But, what about Hazel? I could have sworn that I saw her eyes change as well. Was she possessed too?

                My mind felt as though it would explode. This was all too much for me to grasp. I needed a break. And after a good four hours dedicated to just learning more about all of this, I deserved one. I was about to lean over to my side table to grab my phone when it started ringing. Grabbing it, I saw Dean’s name on the caller ID and answered the call.

                “Hello?”

                “Hey, Kim, listen. You know how Sammy and I are only staying at this motel until my dad finishes up his job? And how he came home a little while ago because he hadn’t cracked the case yet?” Dean began, speaking quickly. It was like he was nervous.