Chapter Three: Notes

I was half asleep when the warning bell rang for first period. I yawned and looked over the math sheet in front of me. Dean sat down in the seat next to me and grinned.

“Morning, Kim. Happy Friday.”

“Don’t call me ‘Kim’,” I said without looking up. He frowned and turned in his seat so he was facing me.

“Why not? It’s part of your name, after all.”

“Only my friends call me Kim, and last time I checked, we weren’t friends.”

“Aw, come on! We’re friends!”

“No, Dean, we are not friends.”

He laughed and turned to face the front when the bell rang. Mrs. Higbee scrawled out a few equations for the class to write and complete in their notebook. I started doing the homework instead. I could hear Dean’s pencil scratching on the paper and couldn’t help but be a bit shocked. Who would have thought that Mr. School-Isn’t-My-Thing over here would actually be doing work? My surprise in his sudden interest in math was soon whisked away when he handed me a note.

I didn’t read it. I just let the folded up piece of paper sit on the edge of my desk as I continued solving the homework problems. Dean looked at me expectantly, waiting for me to read the note. I finished my problem and set down my pencil. Sighing, I picked up the note and unfolded it. The whole thing was written in slanted, slightly messy handwriting. However, overall it was neater than any boy’s handwriting that I had seen.

Kimberley, I was thinking that after school you and I could catch a movie. What do you think? Dean

I rolled my eyes and picked my pencil back up.

‘Winchester, are you asking me out on a date? –K’

I passed the paper back to him and continued working on my math sheet. A minute later, the paper was back on my desk.

‘Call it whatever you want, I just think that we should hang out, y’know? –Dean’

I frowned a bit and scrawled my response.

‘You sure are strange. As nice as your offer sounds, you don’t know anything about me. Besides, you may end up hating me when you learn more about me. -K’

I gave it back to him and finished up the last problem on my sheet. It took him a few minutes to pass the note back. I wondered if it was because he was at a loss of words, or if he just gave up. But sure enough, the note flopped back onto my desk.

‘That’s why we should hang out, so I can get to know you better! And, isn’t that something I should decide for myself? –Dean’

I faltered a little, shields down for a few seconds. The bell rang and I got up, shoving the note into my bag and hurrying out the door. I had no doubt that he would eventually come find me and talk with me, but for now I needed a while to clear my head.

Truthfully, I had no reason to have my guard up around anyone, Dean Winchester included. I have had no real traumatic experiences.  I haven’t been hurt by anyone I love. I haven’t had any heartbreaks or spent my day crying over my feelings. The only reason I could think of as to why I had my guard up was that I’m afraid. Afraid that the people I open up to will eventually leave. After all, it’s inevitable. Everyone has to leave at some point. It’s easier to get over that fact if you don’t let many people in; then there are less people you have to worry about leaving.

Even Alyssa is close to leaving; at least it feels that way. She’s been my friend since first grade. Back then, she was a lot like me. We didn’t care what anyone had to say about us and we couldn’t care less about being popular. We just wanted to be ourselves and have fun. Now, Alyssa is only worried about her social status, her boy of the week, and whether or not her makeup looks good. As for me, I haven’t changed much. We are going apart and it hurts.

I got to science class a little later than usual only to see Alyssa in her seat applying another layer of lipstick, only further proving her point. I sat down in my seat next to her and got situated.

“So, I saw you and Dean passing notes. What was that about?” she asked, smacking her lips together and putting her lipstick away. In all honesty, even though she’s pretty without it, the makeup she puts on makes her look stunning. No wonder she has all the guys in school in the palm of her perfectly manicured hand.

“Nothing much. Just non-sense,” I said. That wasn’t a complete lie, but if I tell her everything she’ll get so excited, I think her head may just burst. She’s been egging me on to go on a date or get a boyfriend for years now.

“Mhmm. Sure it was.”

The bell rang and, thankfully, silenced her. Mr. Howard began his usual rambling lectures about the theory of tectonic plates. I tuned him out and doodled absentmindedly in the margins of my notebook page.

After science, I went to the lunch room. I paid for a water bottle and a plate of French fries. It’s safe to say that I’m not the healthiest eater. By the time I got out of the lunch line, most of the tables were already packed full. Alyssa was sitting at a table full of the highest up on the social food chain. So much for sitting with her. Dean was sitting at a table full of other girls. I frowned. Even though sitting with him wasn’t ideal, I at least sort of knew him. I looked around for either of the people I met yesterday, but I couldn’t find them, so I just sighed and found an empty table in the dark corner of the lunch room.

Dean saw me sit down and waved me over to his table. I shook my head no and he frowned and shrugged. If he really is determined to make me fall for him, he sure isn’t doing a good job.

Lunch went on without much other interference, and I moved on to my other academic classes. Nothing eventful happened during them besides the announcement for us to write an essay in English that would be due at the end of the week.

Dean caught up with me after English and walked with me to gym.

“So, did you think more about going to a movie later?” he asked. It sounded almost like he was hoping I would say yes. That can’t be it though. He’s only been here for two days and he already has any girl he wants at his fingertips. Why would he be interested in me, of all people?

“I haven’t changed my mind. I don’t think it would be a good idea,” I said flatly.

“Why not, what would be so bad?”

“I just think it would be better not to!” I didn’t really have a reason; just a gut feeling that getting involved with Dean Winchester would be a bad idea. He stepped in front of me and put his hands on my shoulders.

“Come on, just give me a chance. Please?”

I sighed and thought over it. Although there was a part of my brain that labeled him as trouble, there was another, much bigger part that told me to just do it; to take the risk.

“Alright, but can we go tomorrow instead?”

Dean smiled a full on smile. Not a smirk or grin, but a real smile. It was cute.

“Yeah, you got it! Here’s my number, text me your address and I’ll pick you up at… uh… 7?” He said, leaning against the lockers and writing down his number.

“7 is great,” I said, taking the piece of paper with his number on it.

“Awesome.” He flashed me another smile, which I returned, and left. I hurried into the gym just as the bell rang.

_____________________________________________________________________________

A/N:

This chapter kinda makes things sem like they are moving a little fast, but I more want this to be the start of Kim and Dean's friendship, rather than the start of a relationship. You feel me? Cool. Anyway, let me know what you think. I don't know whether or not the next chapter will be with her after school or if I should skip over Sammy and Hazel for the day and just move on to Saturday. Your thoughts? 

Until next time~