Chapter 08 : Interrogation and Feast

And true to her word, Carol finished her humble dinner preparations in ten minutes and now Margaret was heartily enjoying her mom's culinary skills.

"Maggie, is there something you are not telling me?" Carol questioned from the opposite side of the small four chair table. Margaret looked up from her plate and tilted her head, confusion clear on her face. "Your university, is everything okay there?"

Margaret carefully swallowed the contents in her mouth and spoke calmly. "Why do you ask, Mom?"

"I don't know, it may be just my imagination but, so many things are happening recently, it just doesn't add up." Carol dropped her fork and leaned back in her chair. "I mean, you are always careful, but since you joined the university, you have been constantly getting hurt for one reason or other. Just days before, you somehow sprained your ankle and today-"

"It's just a coincidence, mom." Margaret cut her off with a smile and resumed her dinner. "You are thinking too much."

Carol sat straight and propped her elbows on the table, clasping her fingers together as she looked straight at Margaret. "The doctor said that you collapsed because of extreme fatigue and overexertion. Did you eat your lunch today?"

"That-I...um" Margaret didn't know how to answer. She avoided her mother's gaze and turned to the side.

Not fair! That came out of nowhere and caught her off guard. She wasn't prepared at all. And with her heavy and muddled head, she wasn't in a state to construct a legible lie either. Dammit. That stupid doctor couldn't keep his mouth shut, could he? Where was the doctor-patient confidentiality?

But her mom was a genius too, she directly guessed the actual cause with just a sentence from the doctor. But that was to be expected, she was Margaret's mom after all.

"Margaret..." Carol drawled out, her serious tone instantly broke Margaret's chain of thoughts.

"I spilled it on the floor." She blurted out in panic and immediately shut her eyes close with disappointment. She really needed to work on her lying skills, it's basically an essential survival skill now.

"Wha- I don't understand, Maggie!" Carol cried out in an aggrieved tone as she fell back in her chair helplessly. "How are you being so clumsy?" She was practically whining now, as she couldn't believe her able daughter was turning more and more into a ditz.

'What's wrong with being clumsy? Clumsy was considered cute.' Margaret retorted unhappily in her mind and chose not to answer her mom.

Carol dropped her head in her hand, her fingers softening the knot between her brows. She then spoke again without even looking up. "What about cafeteria? Couldn't you have grabbed something from there?"

"I had no money with me." Margaret replied immediately without missing a beat, as she continued her dinner.

Ah! Did she have a breakthrough in her skill? She didn't hesitate just now. Nice progress Margaret. She has always been a quick learner, but looks like her mom was not happy with her.

"What? Are you kidding me?" Carol immediately looked up at her daughter who was peacefully enjoying her supper without a worry. She took a deep breath and let it out. "What happened to your monthly allowance?"

"I spent it all." Margaret shrugged as she lied, her voice calm and her expression casual.

Carol threw her hands up in exasperation as she didn't know what to say to that. She felt helpless as she couldn't understand her daughter anymore.

Was this what they call a 'rebellious phase'? Even if it was, wasn't it a bit late? Wasn't that only seen in adolescent teenagers? And Margaret never acted in such way when she was at that age, much less now.