Conor x Devin - My Little Lamb (Part 4)

Devin's PoV -

     "Devin Trunswick get down here this instant, I have someone I want you to meet!" I could here my father yelling for me, I sighed and stood from where I sat reading a book in my room.

     With that I hurried down the stairs to meet my father in the dining room. Standing next to him was a tall man with short black hair and tan skin, he wore a blue cloak and a smug look. His eyes we scary and commanding but then again so were my father's. Father gestured for me to sit across from them, "Devin, this is Zerif, he has an amazing opportunity for you."

     "So I hear at your nectar ceremony you failed to summon a spirit animal, such a pity that your servant boy would summon a Great Beast and you would leave with nothing, don't you think?" Zerif cooed.

     "Err, I like Conor though, I mean I wish I had summoned an animal or a Great Beast for that matter but I'm not jealous of Conor," I replied awkwardly.

     "You know it's alright for you to be jealous, Conor, is so below you in social class, hell, he scarcely has the right to speak to you," Zerif smiled, "besides, you're the future Earl of Trunswick so shouldn't everyone be talking about you instead of that shepherd boy?"

     Perhaps Zerif was right, I thought back to why I thought I loved Conor. He had nothing to offer me and yet I had much to offer him, I hadn't worked him hard as a servant and I always treated him kindly. I even got myself into trouble multiple times just to protect him and his pathetic little secret, and what was my thanks, he summoned Briggan. If anyone was to summon a Great Beast it should have been me, then he ran away with the Greencloaks without so much as a glance in my direction. "Your right, Zerif, I do deserve better," I replied.

     "That is what I hoped you would say, I may not be able to give you a Great Beast but I can bond you to a legendary beast," Zerif slid a glass across the table, "Drink this and your destiny shale begin."

     I must have looked nervous because my father spoke up, "Go on son, make me proud."

     That was all I needed to here, I brought the cup to my lips and quickly gulped down the foul tasting liquid. I burst into a coughing fit after that and a bout of dizziness overtook me but both soon faded. Then Zerif stood and pulled a cloth off a crate that had been sitting on the other side of the room, I hadn't noticed it before. Inside the cage sat a large black panther. Zerif opened the cage and the cat trotted over to me and licked my hand, "She is your spirit animal now, Devin, you can control her unlike with the nectar, the bile is so much more powerful," Zerif spoke.

     I rubbed the cat's ears, I had decided to call her Elda, soon everyone would be talking about her and not Conor's wolf!

Conor's PoV -

Briggan and I showed up at camp early the next morning, my friends questioned me but I played it off as Briggan and I doing some night hunting. I told them about Briggan going into passive and about my dream of the boar. Tarik decided we should go to Eura after hearing that and he immediately wrote to Lenori for extra help. Having no better place in Eura to go we left for Trunswick later that day.

My mind was on Devin. The whole trip from Amaya to Eura I pretty much stayed in my cabin of the Tellun's Pride thinking of Devin, my boyfriend. Our next destination was Trunswick, my hometown, I knew I would see Devin there and hopefully my family, admittedly I was excited to go back home! We needed to find the Iron Boar before the Conquerors found it.

     A day or two later the boat docked just outside of Trunswick, I released Briggan from passive, Abeke and Meilin did the same for Uraza and Jhi, Briggan ran around happily and howled. "Are you happy to be home too, boy?" I rubbed the wolf's ears and Briggan whined a response.