Chapter 7

||Desperation||

-Holly Jolly -

Screams. She could hear screams. Screams no one else could hear. Desperate, terrified screams.

"NANCY! NANCY!"

Pine had never heard the voice before. Then, for a split second, she saw. Pine saw. The girl from the diving board, she was in the pool. It was empty, no water to be seen. Vines clung to the sides and bottom. Pine ran up to the pool. The teenager saw her. Looking through desperate eyes she clung to the pool ladder. Pine didn't know what to do, how to help. She reached her hand out to the teen who took it quickly. Pine started pulling the girl out. When she was almost out, the Demogorgon grabbed onto her leg, turning the rescue into a game of tug of war. Pine pulled harder. She was so close, then the Demogorgon tugged once more, harder. It was enough to pull both girls into the pool. However, instead of landing on the vine infested pool bottom, Pine fell into the full pool with a big splash. She got out and looked around. She was back where she'd been before.

"Pine?" A voice called

Pine whirled around. A teenage boy stood before her holding a police scanner. It was Thorn. Pine didn't respond.

"W-what are y-you doing h-here? W-why were y-you in t-the pool?"

"I-I dunno. I was looking for Will. I have no clue how I ended up in the pool. W-where is here?"

"Steve Harrington's house."

"Who is Steve Harrington and why are y-you here?"

"Steve is a guy that goes to my school and he had a party."

"Oh."

"Need a ride home?"

"How'd you know?" Pine asked, knowing the answer, blushing.

"You have a serious talent for getting lost."

•*O*•

Pine woke up with the weirdest feeling that something was going to happen. She quickly got ready, grabbed an eggo, and walked out the door. She originally had planned to skip school but, for some reason she decided to go back. Maybe she hoped Will would be at his desk waiting for her. Of course, that wasn't the case. When Pine got to school, his desk was as empty as Barbra Holland's was in Hawkins High.

The day went by fairly normal. Pine didn't draw and she'd forgotten her Walkman at home on accident. For once, she payed attention. Mr. Clark was teaching about plants. Nothing about that really interested Pine but, she had nothing better to do. By the end of the day she'd drawn two drawings. One of the girl she thought she'd seen last night. She was in a hospital gown standing alone in the middle of a room. The second was of a man. The man she'd seen in the forest. Pine did not dwell on these drawings. She probably should have but, she didn't.