Chapter 30: The Temple Of Sacred Ashes

The Temple of Sacred Ashes rested within the shadows of the largest incline, hidden from almost all angles by the grey jutting rocks. Age had badly taken the formerly majestic building. Its golden roof lay cracked and broken, the stone pillars taken by an old avalanche. The icy wind howled as it pushed through the shattered glass windows, an eerie sound that cut through the silence of the mountains. 

Yet there were signs that the temple had recently seen life. At the base of the stone steps were two iron bowls, and while unlit, the oil within was still warm to the touch. A small shrine had been built into the base of the lowest step, and the white petals of Winter's Grace flickered in the wind. A rusted amulet of Andraste lay beneath the flowers.

At the entrance of the temple was a large metal door, sealed shut by four long spear-like locks. Moving Alistair aside, Genitivi hobbled to the opening, tugging the medallion free from the folds of his robe.

Dru stood back, scanning the balconies along the roof of the temple. Her cloak whipped around her ankles. There were no signs of Eirik's spies, neither here nor during their climb to the temple. But she could sense them watching her.

"Let's see if I remember..." Genitivi murmured. He placed the medallion into the slot on the door, rotating it carefully from side to side. There was a soft click and the old man let out an exclamation of glee as the spears moved back, sliding with groaning effort into their bolts. Sten gripped the long iron railing, hauling open the door with some effort. Genitivi didn't wait, already sliding through the small gap as it appeared.

There was a quiet sense of awe as they entered the temple. A thick layer of snow covered the cracked tiled flooring, and dangerous icicles hung low from the iron chandeliers that dangled from the high ceiling. Several of the stone pillars that lined the sides of the hall were broken, and the right wall had been caved in by rocks and debris. A large pyre had been created at the centre of the foyer, and this one was still lit, the flames fighting against the cold gusts. The unnerving feeling that they were being watched grew.

"Makers breath, look at it all!" Alistair exclaimed. He spun around, brown eyes scanning the depictions carved into the remaining wall.

"I can't believe that all of this is still standing," Leliana breathed. "The temple must be thousands of years old."

"It's barely standing, actually." Dru kicked one of the tile pieces, sending it skidding across the ice.

The hall was massive, and at the far end was a wide set of stone steps that led to the upper floors. Two wooden doors sat the base, leading to the west and east wings, Dru assumed. A statue of Andraste stood on the landing, her sorrowful face looking down at her visitors.

"Oh, what I would give to have seen this hall in all its splendour, as it was meant to be." Genitivi leaned up against one of the pillars, wincing as he reached for his injured leg. The exhaustion from their climb was finally catching up to him, it seemed.

"We can't afford to linger," Dru said.

"I'm sorry." Genitivi flashed a painful smile. "I guess I'm not as young as I once was. You should go on without me. These carvings you see here were created just after Andraste's death, and they may reveal things about her life that we do not yet know. I'd like time to study them, and you can travel faster without me by your side."

"I don't think it's safe here." Leliana walked back to join them.

Genitivi waved her off. "Nonsense, I'll be fine. There aren't any villagers here, and I'm sure they'll be more interested in stopping you than with me." He smiled. "Go. Perhaps my destiny was only to lead you to the urn."

"Is there anything else we should know about the temple?" Dru asked.

"It was designed to protect the Urn from those who would steal it or do harm to it. Namely, the Tevinter Imperium. It was said, 'only the faithful shall lay eyes on the Sacred Ashes. Death and misfortune await the unbeliever.'"