Chapter Five

Mia POV
I sighed taking the pain meds the doctor prescribed me to help me for the next few months as I rubbed my stomach absently.

I lied to Phoenix about what was really wrong. I had all intentions to tell him but when it came face to face my voice just wouldn't let me.

After my appointment I walked numbly to my car and cried for hours leaned against my steering wheel trying to will myself to call for Phoenix, but I just felt to empty. Too bare.

I quickly shoved them in drawer as Nick knocked on our bedroom door and I turned to face it.

"Come in!" I called to him and he quickly pushed the door open and walked over to Nix's and I's shared bed sprawling across it and yawning loudly.

"Need something?" I laughed softly taking a seat next to him and pushing his hair off of his forehead.

"Yes actually." he began, making me turn and give him my full attention. "Can I go to the lake with a few of my friends? Taylor will be there." he asked, wide eyes.

I rolled mine and sat up. "Did you call and ask Phoenix?" I prompted.

"Miaaaa" He whined "He's going to say no. Were all just going to ride our bikes and go swimming for a few hours. We'll be home by the time it's dark." He begged.

I sighed thinking. Phoenix, being an officer was very strict on Nick, trying to keep him safe because he has seen all of the absolute worse situations and quickly everything can go wrong. I seen his point of view and respected it fully, I just felt bad for Nick sometimes because he was the type of child that thrives off of freedom and too much control would cause him to rebel.

"Do you absolutely promise, to be home before the very first street light comes on?" I inquired with a raised eyebrow.

"I love you Mia!' He shouted  very excitedly before hopping off the bed and sprinting to his room.

"I didn't even say yes!" I called after him , still laughing softly as I stood back up.

I pulled my phone out of my pocket and texted Nix a quick message. 'Nick is going to hang out with some friends, he was dying of boredom here. Miss you.'

I heard the front door open and close , assuming that was Nick before Nix had a chance to call him and list a million rules he had to abide by.

I made my way to my closet and took off my sweats and slipped on some running shorts and thin tank top . I tied my curls into a tight top knot to ensure they would stay completely out of my face as I got in my workout. I remember when I found health so important and made it a priority to work out at least once day or at the very least every other day. It worked as a way to clear my mind and get it off my busy ass schedule. Lately, in this hot summer where Ive spent so much time still setting our house up and trying to establish a new life here, it was thrown to the back of my mind. I was determined to get back on my fitness journey, lord knows I needed the distraction.

After doing a quick stretch, I quickly tied my shoes and was out of the front door, locking it behind me.

I started off with a slow jog down our driveway, testing myself a little before I slightly picked up the pace, running down the road. There was never a steady flow of traffic In this smaller town, allowing a calm quietness at most of the times. I opted to try and run for at least 15 minutes, so it would be 15 minutes back, a total of 30 minutes cardio. I let my mind wander, about how and when I would tell Nix about my little situation I recently discovered. I let it wander to the heartache I would have to face well into my whole life.

I was well into my zone, sweat falling freely and lightly observerving the new areas around me when a hand caught mine, stopping me immediately, almost jerking me back.