oo. prologue.

PROLOGUE

PROLOGUE.
we are grounders.

━━━━━━━☆☆━━━━━━━

Blood stained the battlefield of the drop ship's lawn as the war between the Grounders and Sky people raged onward. Sage had never predicted this outcome for her future on the ground. She'd always imagined the delinquents would perish within a week or so due to starvation or dehydration or another natural cause. Little did she know she would soon be face to face with a non English speaking man as he attempted to subject her to his spear.

          Sage pushed onwards. It seemed she always did. Just that extra mile, one more. She didn't stop fighting, she never had. As the curly black locks flew before her face Sage struggled against the Grounder who snarled as a threat. She whimpered under the Grounder's strength as she formulated a plan to escape his violent grasp. Obviously she couldn't physically dominate him as he was much too large for her and held quite a strong opponent. Her lack of training and little physical strength would have her easily beat. However luckily enough she was a great deal smaller than him.

          The two fell to the ground where Sage was squashed beneath the heavier grounder and she began to squirm. Despite the soil and mud rubbing into her scalp, Sage's mind began to race at the strategies in which she could escape his weight. In a brief moment Sage took her chance and drove her knee into the man's padded stomach. She was certain he wasn't hurt by her movement however the shock allowed his grasp to weaken and Sage to roll out from beneath him.

          Chaos surrounded her, delinquents everywhere dotted the battlefield as numerous attempted to run as she was while others lay limp in the arms of the grounders. Glancing left and right she analysed her surroundings, the grounder she had been formerly fighting had been distracted by another delinquent Sage felt bad for not knowing the name of.

          "Sage! Raven needs you!" A desperate voice called. Upon hearing her name, Sage glanced wildly around the battlefield before she located the figure of Jasper who stood beside the dropship and beckoned her over. She swiftly leapt over the already deceased or injured bodies of both the grounders and delinquents before reaching Jasper whose eyes widened instantly.

          "Sage, Watch out!"

          Jasper's warning forced Sage to spin on her heel where she was quickly met with the face of another grounder. A gulp formulated in her throat and Sage's stomach dropped at the sight. Within seconds the heavily built warrior shoved her against the metal of the dropship's side wall. Knocking her head back, she felt the blood beginning to seep. She began to struggle under his hold and thrash within his hands. He growled as her feet met his shins yet she was sure his iron grip on her forearms was much more painful.