Chapter 1

"I don't know, dad. I feel like if I were to run as homecoming queen everyone would laugh in my face." I mumbled as I ate my cereal bar. My dad shrugged and continued to make coffee. "Listen, kiddo. Everyone at your school seems really nice. I don't think they'll go off of popularity. I think they'll just go based off of who's the nicest and who deserves it."

I shook my head. "No. Remember the last three years? They chose the prettiest, most popular. Stephanie won for all three years. And I'm pretty sure she'll be winning this year too." My dad turned to me and sighed. "This is a new school, Daphne. We're a small town. I grew up with all of these people, which is why I decided to move back. Silveroak is home to so many great people and such beautiful scenery."

I pulled my phone from my jeans pocket and checked the time. "Listen, dad. I'd love to continue talking about this, but it's time for me to go out and catch the bus. I'll talk to you later." I said, grabbing my bag. He waved his hand at me. "Yeah, yeah. Good luck. I love you." He mumbled, grabbing a banana from the table.

I waved bye and ran out the door. The bus stop on my street only had three other people, and they all were already there and on their phones. The blonde one, Victoria, saw me coming and began to smile. "Daphne!" She called. "You're outfit is so freaking cute!" She pushed by the other girls to hug me. "Where did you get your top?"

I blushed and smiled. "Thanks! I got it from Torrid." Victoria handed her phone to Emily and wrapped her hand around my waist. Take a picture with me for snapchat!" I smiled and posed awkwardly with her as Emily took a couple. "Wow, Daphne. You're really photogenic!" I waved my hand at her. "Oh please, iPhone cameras are good quality. Anyone can look photogenic on it."

Victoria rolled her eyes at me. "Take the compliment Daphne. You don't give yourself enough credit." She typed something out onto the picture and then sent it. I smiled warmly. Victoria's long blonde hair was golden in the early morning sun. Paired with her gorgeous tan skin and warm brown eyes, she looked like a goddess.

My phone chimed and I saw it was a snapchat from Victoria. Opening it up, I examined myself in the picture. My long, curly black hair was pinned back so it wouldn't get in my face. The light dusting of freckles of my nose had disappeared in the image, a filter erasing them. My hazel eyes just seemed black, hidden because of my narrow eyes. And lastly, my weight. I could have sworn when I looked in the mirror this morning, I didn't look that bad in my top. It was a simple white with purple watercolor flowers stretching across the fabric. The bottom was peplum. Paired with dark wash skinny jeans and a fair of pointed toe flats, the outfit looked mature and fit my shape just right. Or at least in the mirror it did. Now that I was staring at myself on my phone screen, all I could do was examine the evident rolls and beginning of a double chin. I felt my face get red. I was going to go to school in this, and people were surely going to make fun of me.

Victoria put her hand on my shoulder, drawing me from my thoughts. "Hey, you okay? The bus is coming." She asked. I nodded and sighed. "Yeah, a little bit tired. But I'm ready to go and hang some posters today." I gave a fake little smile and tried to push my negativity's away for the time being. Today had to be good. It was Thursday and homecoming week was beginning next Monday. Jaime would be in the halls with his friends, checking out posters and probably judging them. I was gonna be the one designing them, and I wanted Jaime to be impressed.

As the bus pulled up, I sighed. Just make it a good day, Daph.