|CHAPTER 9: LET HER GO|

And we are all
just fighting
to survive a world
where
I miss you
doesn't mean
I'm coming back,
and
I love you
doesn't mean
I'll stay.

• • •

19 H O U R S
E A R L I E R

She slammed the door on her way out, aggravating him more, and without putting much thought into it, he walked up to his bedroom, and tossed on a random shirt.

And then he had to go to the one place he knew would block the thoughts of her.

• • •

Nothing really justifies cheating.

Sure, there are reasons that push you to cheat, and betray the person you are with, but there is absolutely no excuse to justify it.

And there was absolutely no excuse to justify what he was doing right now.

Slipping his tongue into her mouth, he moaned, and tried to enjoy it.

But he couldn't.

He knew it was wrong, he didn't want to do it, but he convinced himself that she was doing the same.

That he had his hands buried in her hair, kissing the life out of her.

That he had his hands all over her, he had his hands where Tony's should be.

And when he imagined her kissing him, he quickly pushed the woman before him away, and clenched his eyes shut, trying to remove the image from his brain, because he couldn't envision her being with someone else even if he was only imagining it.

The woman was dumbfounded, and it was clear by the look on her face that she was confused.

"Baby, what is it?"

He flinched once the word left her lips, there was only one person who called him that.

One woman who would ever call him that.

"I'm sorry, I can't. I can't do this with you. She means much more to me than this. I'm sorry. I would drive you home, but by the amount I have consumed tonight, I can't."

Mouth agape, she stared at him in shock and surprise.

"Umm....uh..."

She wasn't sure what to say because no one had ever experienced Tony Stark turning down sex.

"I have plenty of guest rooms. You can take the one in the end of the hallway," and with those words being said, he walked out of the room, his heart physically causing him pain.

And he sat there on the couch, staring at the front door, waiting for the inevitable.

***

P R E S E N T D A Y

He hadn't moved.

Not since she left.

He was sitting in the exact same place she left him, and he didn't get a wink of sleep.

He didn't even say something to the woman who rushed out of here not too long ago, having heard their conversation last night.

He couldn't bring himself to look at anything other than his bruised hand, knowing that anything in the house would remind him of her anyway.

The door slammed open, and his heart rate picked up, thinking it was her, but an unsettling feeling settled in deep within him when he realised it wasn't.

"Madison," he whispered, not missing the look of hurt on her face.

"I'm just here to pack her things," she muttered, and if it was even possible, his heart sank even deeper.

"Madiso-"

"No, Tony!" She snapped.

"I was always on your side, and even when you guys fought I would consider things from your point of view, but this...this is too much. How could you do that to her?"

"I was-"

"This is exactly why she was refusing to get with you in the beginning. She was afraid you wouldn't stay faithful, she was afraid that you would never love her, and would you look at that...you did both."

She didn't wait for his response, she simply just climbed up the stairs into her best friend's old bedroom, and packed all of her things in three suitcases.

"She asked me to give you this," hesitantly, she slid the box towards him, and without opening it, he knew what was in it.

"God," he whispered, grabbing the beautiful necklace from inside.

"Where is she, Madison?"

Because he needed to know, he wanted to fix this, he would do whatever she asked, but he wanted her, he needed her.

"Tony..."

When he looked up, he saw sorrow in her green eyes, and her facial expression worried him to no end.

"Madison?" He stressed.

"She's departing from the New York airport in 3 minutes," abruptly, he stood up quickly, flinching at the new found information.

"Where...where is she going?" He pleaded, he would follow her wherever she went.

He wouldn't be able to live knowing that there was something he could have done to prevent this, but watching her leave the state would surely kill him.

"I'm sorry, Tony. I really can't tell you that, and even though I was rooting for you two, she made me promise not to tell you. She's done, Tony. She'll go out there, and she'll move on. She'll forget all the pain she endured, don't you want that for her?"

"Yes," his voice was inaudible, but she read his lips.

Before she turned around, he spoke up again.

"But I want her to be with me."

Moving away from him, Madison grabbed her best friend's bags, and made her way to the front door, but not before turning around and speaking to him first.

"For what it's worth, she loved you, Tony. Maybe even a little too much than she should have."