New Chapter

Jack sits on the couch, staring delightfully at his daughter who's ripping open her birthday gifts. She tears open pink paper to find a stuffed pony that looked a lot like hers, Macaroni. Caroline giggles and rubs the soft fur against her cheek.

"Do you like your gifts from daddy?" Jack asks his daughter.

"Yes daddy." Caroline smiles, pretending to make her horse gallop across the carpet.

"Where's my gift from daddy?" Jackie coos coming up behind the couch and draping her arms around Jack's neck. He let's out a deep chuckle as her lips brush his cheek.

Jack checks to make sure Caroline is distracted by her gift before responding, "Mommy will get her gift at bedtime."

Jackie's lips curl into a smirk and slaps him on the shoulder. Still, it was nice to know that Jack wanted her. Lately he was giving her attention he never used to give.

"Happy Birthday, sweetie." Jackie says as she crouches down with Caroline on the floor. Piles of pastel tissue paper and bows lay strewn on the oriental carpet. She gives her daughter a kiss on the forehead before remarking, "My, daddy really spoiled you."

"My buttons is five years old now. I had no choice." Jack grins, delightfully watching his daughter play with her new toys.

"Yeah mummy! A whole hand!" Caroline holds up five little fingers with her chin raised in pride.

"Well, you're still my baby." Jackie says petting her blonde curls.

After seeing that her daughter is completely engrossed in her birthday presents, Jackie turns to Jack and mouths, "Thank you."

Jack nods at his wife as she rises and sits beside him on the couch. "Anything to make her happy." Jack says, his eyes still locked on his daughter.

"Jack," Jackie says turning towards him. Her voice is soft, indicating she doesn't want Caroline to hear. "I have some news."

Jack looks at her with raised eyebrows. He is a bit startled by the urgent secrecy in her tone. Her hands are anxiously fiddling in her lap and she is practically chewing off her bottom lip. "Good or bad?"

"Well," she ponders looking down at her hands and biting her lip some more, "I guess it depends..."

"Well what is it?" Before her can inquire any further, a tiny yet energetic disruption makes an extravagant entrance.

John jr. comes bounding into the living room stark naked. Maud Shaw races behind him with a towel in arm, but she is no match for the giggly toddler who's chubby legs were surprisingly speedy. Jack liked to joke that if excited enough, John jr could run the entirety of the White House in a single minute.

"Heyyy" Jack laughs.

"Birthday cake?!" John shrieks jumping up and down. John jr and Caroline's birthdays were only 3 days apart, so despite today being Caroline's birthday, they were having a joint party this afternoon.

"John, you will have your cake later, but only if you're a good boy. And good boys get dressed." Jackie scolds with firm eyes.

John nods dutifully. The little boy would do anything for cake. Miss Shaw scoops him away.

"I'll be there in a second, Maud." Jackie calls after the Nanny. She then refocuses her attention on Jack, dying to tell her husband the news. She tries to speak but is interrupted yet again.

"I better get down to the office." Jack says standing up. The moment was gone and Jackie simply nods.

"Oh well, uh, will you be upstairs for cake later this afternoon?"