Chapter Fifty Two

I timidly walked inside the royal concubine's hall with Xiao Yu and my other servants in tow. I was here to greet my mother-in-law like any filial daughter-in-laws would do.

I slowly made my way to the center of the room, in front of the royal concubine, and kneeled on the ground.

"Your daughter greets her highness." I exclaimed with a cheerful voice, my hand rubbing my empty stomach.

Rubbing my tummy for effects!

"Fan'er, what are you doing? You should be more careful." The royal concubine gestured for her maid to help me up. I pretended to be weak as I leaned on the maid for support. She carefully led me to the seat beside the royal concubine.

As soon as I sat, Chen Hui's four wives arrived to the hall. They all kneeled down and greeted the royal concubine. The royal concubine only nodded at them and her focus went back to me. I watched as the four wives silently sat on the corner of the hall.

Unlike Chen Mu who has his own manor, Chen Hui decided to continue living inside the imperial palace so her concubines would come daily to the royal concubine's hall to give her company. But it seems like the royal concubine wasn't fond of them.

"Mother..."

"Fan'er, don't mind them." The royal concubine smiled as she sipped on her tea.

How can I not mind them?

They're staring holes into my head.

"Didn't I already tell you that you don't have to come greet me? You're only tiring yourself. Pregnant women should rest on their chambers." The royal concubine reminded me.

My eyes drifted to one of Chen Hui's pregnant wife, her belly protruding from the table where she was seated from. I gave her an awkward smile of my own and tried to avoid their penetrating gazes.

Mother, I know I'm your favorite but will you please make it less obvious? I don't want to deal with Chen Hui's wives.

"Have you seen the Han envoy? You weren't able to see them at the celebration since you fainted." The royal concubine queried.

I nodded.

Yesterday, as I was lazing in my quarter's garden when a young lady with beautiful features approached me. She asked me who I was and I asked her back. She looked at me with hatred and stomped off. Later, Xiao Yu informed me that it was one of the two princesses that came with the Han envoy.

"Princess Meili seems to have his eyes on Prince Heng Li. The crown princess is threatened." The royal concubine muttered in a low voice, still smiling.

I stayed silent and let the royal concubine continue with her words.

"And Princess Lu Se seems to fancy Mu'er."

Princess Lu Se?

She was the one who came to my quarter's yesterday...

Did she came to check out her competition?

"But of course, you don't have to worry Fan'er." The royal concubine teased me as she sipped on her cup of fermented grape juice.

I nodded again.

I believe in Chen Mu when he said he won't take another concubine but I still can't help but worry. What if Princess Lu Se managed to convince the Emperor to have her as Chen Mu's other wife? No one can defy the Emperor's decree unless you wanted a headless body.

After the spending the rest of the morning with the royal concubine, I pretended to feel tired so I excused myself. The royal concubine reminded me to take extra care of myself and gifted me with tonics then I went back to my quarters.

I was on lazing on my bed, reading books which the royal concubine had sent to my quarters. I sighed in boredom after closing the history book.

Its already been nine days since I last saw Chen Mu. He said he would come pick me up after a week. I'm kind of worried especially that no one knows about his whereabouts. I knew he left some of his shadow guards to protect me so I tried summoning them but no one appeared in front of me.

"Miss, the princess from Han wants to see you."

I creased my forehead.

What does she need?

"Tell her I'm sick." I told Xiao Yu.

"Mise, you're sick?" Xiao Yu quickly came and touched my forehead to check my temperature, "Miss, do you want me to call the royal physician?"

I flicked Xiao Yu's hand and pouted at her, "I don't want to deal with Princess Lu Se."

"Oh..." Xiao Yu released a light laugh and nodded her head. She exited from my room and went to see Princess Lu Se.

After a few moments, I heard Xiao Yu shouting from outside, "Princess, my mistress is resting. Please don't disturb her!"

I immediately jumped into my bed. I pinched my cheeks and rubbed my eyes to appear sick. Just then, the door slammed open.

Actress Bai Fan activated.

I gently fluttered my eyes and let out a cough. Xiao Yu rushed to my side as she helped me sit, putting pillows behind me.

"Princess Lu Se..." I muttered in a weak voice, "Forgive me for not facing you."

"Its okay. You..." Princess Lu Se harrumphed and pointed to Xiao Yu, "Get me a chair, the cushioned one, I don't like your chair here."

Xiao Yu was about to answer back but I caught her hand and told her to get a cushioned chair for Princess Lu Se. Xiao Yu nodded and went to get a chair. Princess Lu Se rudely grabbed the chair from Xiao Yu and sat in front of me.

Ahh, trouble...

"What they said was true..." She raised her brows as she stared at my face, "You are beautiful."

I gave her a weak smile. I don't kniw what her aim is so I let her talk.

"No wonder Prince Chen Mu married you."

My smile stiffened.

Did you mean Chen Mu only married me because of my face?

He's not that shallow!

"Princess Lu Se is also beautiful." I also complimented her.

Sadly, I'm still above you.

I mentally patted my own shoulder.

"I know." She rolled her eyes.

I ignored her actions and asked her, "What brought Princess Lu Se to my quarters?"

Princess Lu Se shifted on her seat and straightened her back. She cleared her throat and with her hands resting on her lap, she looked like a proper lady. Far from her haughty self earlier.

"I came here to talk to you about Prince Chen Mu."

"Oh..." I also shifted on my bed.

"I'll go straight to the point. I want to marry into the Chen Manor. I want to marry the first prince, Chen Mu." She declared.

Ha ha

Ha ha ha

Ha ha ha ha

Guards!

"I see." I simply answered.

"You don't want to?" Princess Lu Se narrowed her eyes on me, "Are you jealous?"

Are you trying to scam me?

"Its not that I don't want to but y-"

Before I could even finish my words, Princess Lu Se cut me off.

"Then its settled. I'm marrying prince Chen Mu. The sooner, the better." Princess Lu Se smiled sweetly, "Don't worry, I will let you stay in the Chen Manor since you are carrying the prince's child. After you give birth, I will take care of the child and you can go back to wherever you're from."