Chapter Fifty

We arrived early at the imperial palace so I made my way to the imperial concubine while Chen Mu went to see his imperial father. As soon as I entered the imperial concubine's hall, I was welcomed by the colorful banners hanging from the ceiling and into the walls. There were also towering flower plants that was placed on the corners of the room. It was very festive.

"My favorite daughter!" The imperial concubine greeted me with her cheerful voice and gave me an affectionate hug.

I'm glad Chen Hui's wives are not here.

"Mother..." I hugged her back.

"How was your vacation? I've heard from your husband that you both are doing your best to give me my beloved grandchildren." The imperial concubine wiggled her brows in a teasing manner.

Mother, why are you like this?

Nothing happened between us.

I bitterly choked.

"Of course, mother." I answered.

"Did you try the potion I gave you?" The imperial concubine asked and offered, "I have more here if you want."

I don't even know where the potion is right now. I better check if Xiao Yu has it.

"Mother, the first Prince does not need it. His stamina is..." I gave her a thumbs up.

The imperial concubine laughed at me and ushered me to sit beside her. She ordered one of her servants to bring us tea while we wait for the celebration to start.

I wanted to ask her about the marriage alliance, the main reason why the envoy from the Han Empire came. Thankfully, the imperial concubine was the first one to talk about it.

"The Han Empire was once an enemy to our state. They used to aid our adversaries and help in the attack of the Eastern Border," The imperial concubine grimaced at the memory, "Then they stopped and offered us a choice."

"A marriage alliance." I concluded.

The imperial concubine nodded, "I don't know what the Han Empire is planning but I think they're aiming for the crown princess' title."

"But we already have a crown princess." My forehead creased in confusion.

The imperial concubine looked at me with a sad smile, "anything can happen."

Of course, how can I forget? We were in a dog eat dog world. In order to gain and stay in power, sacrifices are made.

Anything can happen.

"Mother..."

The imperial concubine let out a small chuckle and held my hands, "Don't worry Fan'er, Mu'er won't let anything bad happen to you."

I smiled back at her.

The imperial concubine changed the topic into a lighter one. We talked about my stay at Prince Mo Li's Manor.

"Prince Mo Li might not look like it but he is a skillful general." The imperial concubine said.

"He is a general?" I mumbled in awe.

"He is. This empire's youngest general." The imperial concubine confirmed.

Prince Mo Li might seem childish and lame but it seems like it was just a cover up of his true self. Him being a general wasn't that surprising when he's a shadow guard trainer as well.

A few moments later, Chen Mu arrived. He bowed to his mother before proceeding to where I was. He sat beside me and leaned into me.

"Take this." He whispered and secretly handed me a pill.

"What is this?" I asked.

"Pill."

I almost rolled my eyes.

Yes, obviously.

But what kind of pill?

Not wanting to question him anymore, I pretended to cough and covered my mouth with my hand but I actually popped in the pill. I tried to act nonchalant as bitterness invaded my mouth. I sipped the tea and flushed out the taste. The imperial concubine doesn't seem to notice as she ordered her servant to get a new set of steaming tea, blaming the cooled tea for my coughing.

"Mu'er, have you seen the guests?" The imperial concubine looked at his son.

"Mm..."

"Your brothers?"

"Mm..."

"Mu'er, don't you think it's time for you to talk like a sociable human being?" The imperial concubine sighed, "Mu'er, as your mother I am already accustomed to your way of speaking but don't tell me, you speak the same way to your wife?"

Tell him, mother. Tell him!

He always 'mm...' me too!

"Mm..." Chen Mu didn't even bother to lift his head as he continued staring at the cup of tea like it was the most interesting thing in the entire room.

Another sigh, but now, both from me and the imperial concubine.

I give up.

A servant came to pick us and made our way to the pavilion where the emperor and the empress was waiting for us. Chen Heng Li and Chen Hui was also there. I didn't see Shu Ming An or any of Chen Hui's wife. Chen Hui wanted to talk to me but seeing how protective his brother was standing right in front of me, he backed down. Chen Heng Li, on the other hand, was still treating me like air. He only greeted the imperial concubine and his brothers then ignored my presence. I just shrugged it off. I don't have anything to do with him anymore so it's probably better this way.

We greeted the royal couple and together, we entered the hall where the celebration was being held. The hall was already full of people and their chattering erupted to cheers when our arrival was announced. After several minutes of perfunctory greetings here and there, I was happy to take a seat and rest my tired legs.

I gazed my eyes around the room, searching for the entourage of the Han Empire but I couldn't spot them. There were no new faces in the crowd.

"Where are they?" I muttered to myself.

"They'll be coming soon." Chen Mu answered me.

"Oh..."

I wanted to see them as to satisfy my curiosity but I was also relieved that they're still not here. I shook my head and focused myself towards the food instead.

Before I could even pick up the spoon, my chest started to tighten. I reflexively grabbed Chen Mu's hand as my other hand rested on my chest.

"My chest..." I managed to speak between my gritted teeth.

Chen Mu immediately pulled me towards him, my back leaning on his chest.

"You'll lose consciousness." Chen Mu muttered in a low voice.

"W-what..." My thoughts are fumbling around as I felt my sight starting to get blurry, my breathing started to restrict as well.

What is happening?

"Just bear with it for now, Fan'er." Chen Mu gave my arm a slight press.

I couldn't fight my body's weird reaction anymore as I fainted. The last thing I heard was Chen Mu shouting.