His breath fanned my cheek as he spoke.

"Much like yourself."

Feeling like I was going to throw up my lovely breakfast, I stifled a laugh. His smile was smug and his bright blue eyes were latched onto mine; it was obvious that he thought himself to be the Shakespeare of the century with that remark.

If only he knew.

"I think you have a tour to get back to," I said seriously, no hint of emotion or humor in my words. He glanced behind him at the small group of people who had immersed themselves in the artwork, just as I had.

He shrugged and threw his hands in the air, exaggerating a sigh.

"How am I to focus on the tourists, mia bella, when I am in your presence?"

It took all that was in me not to scoff. The way he spoke was not sweet; if it had been, I would've been softer on him. His words were cocky. As if I'd fall at his feet.

I was about to answer when instead I heard a dog barking. The sound grew closer and closer, and within seconds Marco's eyes widened and a blur of brown leaped onto his body. I stumbled backwards, laughter spewing from my mouth when I realized that it was a dog, a rather large one, that had him on the ground. Marco screamed as the dog licked his face repeatedly, until finally he shoved the dog off and ran away, stumbling and tripping.

The people on the street shared looks of amusement as they laughed at the scene. Smiling, I bent down to the dog's height. He placed his paws on my shoulders and continued barking, licking my face all over in excitement.

Between laughs, I continued to pet him as he kissed me.

"Good boy," I kept repeating, thankful that he'd saved me from the awkward situation I was suffering through.

A deep and familiar voice then made its way to my ears.

"He likes you."

In front of me stood Max, his face gracing a smile as his dog returned to him.

So this was Leo. He pet his head as he spoke to me. His hair was styled differently today. It was messy, and he wore a dress shirt tucked into jeans, sporting a pair of suspenders. Unsure of how to feel, I stood up.

Among my many emotions was suspicion.

I narrowed my eyes, wiping my face with my hands.

"Are you following me?"

I hadn't meant to sound so accusing, but it was a little odd that I saw Max again in a city full of so many people. It couldn't be a coincidence. Not that my stomach didn't churn in excitement. I just had to be careful.

He didn't seem surprised by my question. Instead, he rolled his shoulders back in a shrug.

"I could easily say the same about you." He chuckled, a dimple on his cheek making an appearance. "You're welcome. For saving you from that."

His eyes shifted to where Marco had once again appeared, speaking to the tour group behind us. He avoided our gazes out of embarrassment as he sheepishly apologized to the tourists.

I narrowed my eyes at Max.

"I had it handled, I can take care of myself."

Max cocked his head to the side. The sparkle in his eyes was playful. It wasn't annoyance that flooded my senses; truth be told, I was a little excited to see him. But I couldn't help but be cautious.

I pursed my lips and walked past him, our shoulders brushing.

"Amora!"

The way he said my name was almost musical. His accent made it sound delicate. Meaningful. I stopped in my tracks and spun around to face him, raising my eyebrows quizzically.