one

T S S W E

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

ONE

familiarity

the state of being familiar

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

the first week of april

A DIZZY SMILE graced her features as she opened the door to greet her best friend.  As the mid-morning sun shined through the ivory colored curtains, Paloma stepped forward to welcome him with open arms.

"I've missed you an awful lot, you big idiot," she sighed into his chest, taking a moment to appreciate his presence after two months of him being away in different parts of the world.

"You're so soft," he chuckled, ruffling her hair as he enveloped her tiny frame in his arms.

Dain Leone, Paloma's best friend of nine years, had spent his time away documenting the lives of certain individuals and their impact in the mental health community.  As an advocate for mental health awareness, he was working on an independent film series set to open discussion on and break the stigma surrounding the topic.  Paloma was glad to see him pursuing a career he felt so passionately for, especially when it brought light to such an important aspect of today's society, but she couldn't help feeling relieved to have him back home.

"And? I'm allowed to miss my best friend after months of having to mope around in my own loneliness."  She wriggled out of his embrace to give him a playful look before squeezing him once more.  "God, I can't believe you're back. Two months is two months too long."

Another set of chuckles escaped from his lips before he pulled away, a look of adoration gracing his features.  Closing the door behind him, he set his belongings near the bookcase by the door and skipped over to the kitchen in search of something to eat.

"Have you eaten breakfast yet?" he asked as he opened the fridge, eyes eagerly roaming the shelves filled with fresh produce and pre-made meals.

Paloma shook her head and proceeded to sit on top of the island counter behind him, swinging her legs.  "Not yet, are you going to cook something?"

A moment of silence.

Then, "Pancakes."

He turned to her with a cheeky grin, and she couldn't help but laugh at his enthusiasm.  As she watched him dance around the kitchen, opening random cabinets and twirling around with the ingredients necessary, she realized just how much she'd missed him.

A real awful lot.

▬▬▬▬▬

AFTER A MORNING filled with laughter and pure bliss, Paloma bid a quick farewell to her best friend and promised to meet him later for an evening with the rest of their friends at the central marketplace.

April was always one of the busiest months of the year for her, and despite wanting to spend more time with Dain, she knew she had to catch up on her studies and personal projects before she fell further behind than she already was.  Being in her last year of university and running an online business on the side were not easy accomplishments.  They required time and dedication, leaving her weary and exhausted every day of the week.

Looking at the time, she set a challenge for herself, allowing only three hours to complete any work she had to get done.  She pulled out one of the textbooks from the bookshelf and gathered some writing utensils and notebook paper from her desk before settling down on the couch.  With all of her materials laid out on the table in front of her, she set her phone aside and went to work.

▬▬▬▬▬

FEELING PROUD OF herself for managing to complete her work in just under three hours, Paloma stood up from the couch and stretched.  Her left hand ached from the excessive amount of writing she'd just done, but it was worth it seeing as she didn't have to worry about studying or crafting for the remainder of the day.

She checked her phone for any new messages before heading over to her room to fetch her outfit for the day.  Deciding to go for a simple and casual look rather than something too fancy, she quickly slipped into a pair of washed-out floral jeans and a cropped white sweater before completing the look with a loose french braid and light makeup.

Prior to moving out to Melbourne, she had never really cared about her appearance.  Sweatpants and oversized hoodies were all she'd ever wear and her hair was always in a messy ponytail.  It wasn't until she moved into her loft and unpacked her entire closet had she decided she needed to develop a new sense of style that represented the person she was now, not just some lazy teenager who didn't believe she could be anything more than an orphan.

Melbourne was a new beginning for her, bringing along new experiences and new feelings to inspire a life she had never dreamed of before.

She had an hour to spare before she planned on heading over to the central marketplace to meet Dain and the rest of their friends, so she decided to make a quick visit to the bookshop just across the street.  Dain's birthday was coming up, and she was hoping to pick up a copy of the poetry book her favorite author had just released last week.

Grabbing her keys on her way out, she locked the door behind her and proceeded to the stairs that led to the lobby downstairs.  She was too busy fumbling around with her keys to notice the boy heading in the same direction, and before she knew it, she collided with the stranger, dropping her keys and wallet in complete surprise.

"Oh my, I'm so sorry!" she exclaimed, reaching down to retrieve the fallen items before looking up and meeting the strangers eyes.  Just as she was about to apologize once more for her foolishness, she stopped.

She gazed at his face for a moment, a certain familiarity to his features that she couldn't quite place.  Dark brown eyes, freckles, and a scent that seemed to send her senses into a frenzy.  She tried with great effort to identify the boy in front of her, but all she could do was stare and wonder in complete awe.

Then, he smiled and she let out a soft gasp.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

04 june 2018

cont.