2• Lesson To All: II

Arthur dismounted and handed the reins to a stable boy. "Sirs Elyan, Gwaine, Leon and Percival; I expect the four of you in the throne room in exactly an hour. For your sakes, do not be late." He did not even look at them as he snapped the order. Let them squirm.

With that, Arthur ascended the stairs, his cloak nearly flying behind him. Merlin gave the four knights in question a slightly sympathetic look before following his King.

Merlin went back to Gaius' chambers and the old man dressed his wounds. He didn't say anything because he already knew. He was Gaius and everyone knows that Gaius knows everything.

"Arthur was rather upset on the way home wasn't he?"

"Upset? I'll be surprised if he doesn't bury the knights on the spot," Merlin replied as his guardian bandaged his chest. "Arthur can deny it as much as he pleases but he is quite fond of you, Merlin."

"I know."

Once Gaius was finished, Merlin stood, feeling much better. "I'd better get going. I need to make sure Arthur doesn't murder the knights. Poor Leon looked terrified."

The old man merely smiled a little as Merlin left. Arthur was already a better King than Uther had ever been. He was easier to love, to forgive, slower to anger and more compassionate.

******

Merlin found Arthur in his room, already out of his armour. He had changed into something more comfortable but his sword hung from his belt, at the ready.

"You're dressed," Merlin commented as he barged inside, as usual, without bothering to knock. "Your powers of observation render me speechless, Merlin," the King commented wryly.

"So did Gaius treat your injuries? I don't want to carry your skinny backside back to his chambers if you faint on the way."

"Prat," Merlin mumbled. He soon sobered though. "I know I can't seem to convince you otherwise but please, show the Knights a little mercy. They're already feeling terrible."

"As they should. Their behaviour was completely unacceptable as the Knights Of Camelot. They deserve what's coming for them, Merlin. They will accept the consequences of their actions."

When Merlin's face fell, Arthur rolled his eyes and ruffled the boy's hair. "Stop looking at me like I just murdered your puppy, Merlin. Don't be such a girl's petticoat. The Knights will survive, I promise you that. Come on now, duty calls." Arthur slung a casual arm around his servant's neck and led him away.

It was nighttime in Camelot. The throne room was dimly lit with a few candles and the moonlight seemed to cast a silver glow on the place. It looked quite intimidating. Arthur took his place on the throne and waited for the knights. They still had twenty minutes left.

Agravaine was nowhere around and Arthur was thankful for that. While he did value his uncle's advice, he wanted to deal with his knights on his own. He didn't need the older man's assistance in this matter.

The doors opened and the four guilty knights entered. Arthur didn't bother to acknowledge their arrival with a verbal response. He merely levelled each of them with a long, hard look.

For the poor knights, every step to the throne seemed like a mile. The look on their King's face was stony and it terrified them. Clear blue eyes, as bottomless as the deepest ocean, bore into each of them. Even Gwaine, the cheeriest of the lot bore a very pained expression.

The firm thud of their disciplined footsteps interrupted the eerie silence almost periodically. After the agonisingly long walk to the throne, they stood at attention, lined side by side.