Chapter 16: I Don't Know Anymore

Start from the beginning

My jacket has not been passed back to me. But my scar is healing.

"Yes," Teresa answers softly.

I nod slowly. "Take one. And I want to be there when you run tests on them."

~

The next day, I watch as they take blood from a boy. He's got black hair and light blue eyes that look like the blue is being sucked out from them. He's lean and athletically built, no doubt a result of WICKED's strenuous training regiment.

"What's his name?" I ask Teresa, who stands next to me in her white suit, behind the glass panel, watching the Doctors and the boy.

"Andrew," Teresa replies. "Andrew Paige."

"Paige?" I ask, stunned.

Teresa frowns. "He's Chancellor Paige's Son. His Father was a Doctor here. He's dead now."

My eyes widen, and I feel myself rock backwards just slightly. "No..."

"What?" Teresa asks, concerned.

"I need to talk to Ava," I say, my breath rushing out of me.

No no no.

It feels like my life is being crushed inside-out. I feel my world collapsing. Slowly.

"How-how old is he?" I ask, just managing to keep my composure.

"Fifteen," Teresa answers.

I shake my head too fast. "Stop the tests. Take what you need and return him to the rest."

Teresa goes in and tells the Doctors some things and then comes out, frowning.

"Are you okay?" She asks.

I nod. "Stay here. Make sure he's fine. Make sure he's sent back to the others."

Then I dash out of the room and to Ava's office.

I throw her door open, not caring to knock. I stumble in, shock taking over my movements.

No no no no.

"Rheana?" Ava asks, looking up from her computer, wide eyed. She stands, going around her table to reach me.

I hold up my hand to stop her from coming any nearer. "I want the truth. No more lies. Is Andrew your Son? Is he my half Brother?"

Ava seems caught off guard, shocked, afraid and unwilling all at once. She doesn't answer.

"TELL ME!" I shout, tired of her games.

She stumbles back, eyes wide. She's scared. She's scared. Of me.

"Y-y-yes," She stumbles.

The rage dies from my eyes. My emotions take flight and fly away, leaving me empty. I stagger backwards, feeling the air leave me, finding it difficult to breathe all of a sudden.

I don't know how to describe what I feel. Ava never actually loved my Father. She cheated on him two years after I was born. Actually, one and a half years. And she managed to keep it a secret this whole time. She never loved him.

When I was younger, we used to actually be a family. Me, my father and Ava. There was at least some family moments that I could remember from my younger days.

And now this. Now I learn that my mother never loved my father. My dad loved her, that much I'm sure of. The weight of grief strikes me, and I wish my father was here, more than anything.

I can't look at Ava, because I know that it I do, tearing out her throat will be far too tempting. One stare out the window at the one safe city that will soon be infected. At the place I was raised in. My fists clench tightly, fingernails digging into my rough skin.

"Why?" My voice comes out scratchy, and I can't speak anymore than that.

From the corner of my eye, I can see Ava shaking her head. "It meant nothing. He was an accident. Your Father never knew because I told him it was one of ours. I told him I miscarried."

Andersons have always been good in keeping their emotions in check. We were taught how to not let anger or grief cloud or judgement, how to make sure that we did not show any outward sign or distress or confusion. But we also learnt how to prioritise our anger over our sadness, our rage over our grief.

And oh, how I welcome my rage now.

"I'm going to kill you," I say, a slow breath leaving me as a strange calm settles in me with the words. A cruel smile forms on my lips as I look towards Ava.

Ava looks terrified.

"I mean it," I tell her. "You killed my father, and you threw aside the rest of my family. You hid my brother from me, you cheated on my father. You won't get out of this alive, Ava."

She shakes her head, and when she speaks, her voice is hoarse. "You wouldn't," she says.

"Does he know?" I question slowly.

"No," She says softly. "Only you and Teresa know. And Doctor Crawford."

"Good," I say. "I wouldn't want his life totally ruined as well. You keep the hell away from him, Ava. Keep the hell away from my Brother."

And then I leave the room and head straight to mine.